GEORGE W. AND PETER O. STIVING.
These well known farmers of Madison township belong to one of the prominent and highly respected families of Williams
county, their parents being Philip and Leah (Dohm) Stiving.
The father was born May 9, 1821, in Baden, Germany (where the name was formerly spelled Stibing), and in 1834 came
to America with his parents, Jacob and Savilla (Weidner) Stiving, also natives of Germany, who landed in the United
States in September of that year, and located near Shelby in Richland county, Ohio. In his native land Jacob Stiving
had engaged in milling, but here he turned his attention to agriculture, and developed one of the best farms in
Richland county, making it his home until called to his final rest. He was a member of the Reformed Church. In
his family were five children: Philip; Mrs. Catherine Phingsday; Charlotte, who died at the age of fourteen years;
George, who died in Madison township, Williams county; and Peter, who died in Richland county. Their mother died
at the home of her children in Williams county, aged eighty nine years.
Philip Stiving (father of our subjects) remained with his parents until 1845, when he married Miss Leah Bohm, who
was born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1823. Her father, Christian bohm, a native of Germany, came to this country
during the Colonial period, and aided in the Revolution. Some of his brothers located in Virginia, becoming prominent
residents of that State, but he settled in Pennsylvania, whence he afterward removed to Crawford county, Ohio,
where he developed a farm. His last days, however, were spent at the home of his son Jacob in Tilliams county.
Both he and his wife died at a ripe old age. The children born to Philip and Leah (Dohm) Stiving are: Catherine,
now the wife of P. Widener; Jacob W., a prominent farmer of Madison township, Williams county; Mrs. Mary Traxler;
George W.; Mrs. Sarah A. Greek, whose husband is a noted teacher now living in Alabama; Peter O.; Mrs. Emma J.
Keller; and Mrs. Savilla L. Kunkle.
Philip Stiving had labored hard to make a home for his parents, and on starting out in life for himself was without
capital, but, with the aid of a devoted and faithful companion, he met with success in his undertakings, and at
his death left a large and valuable estate to his children. In 1856 he moved to Williams county, locating on the
farm where his sons are now living. Five years previous he had made a trip on horseback to this county, and purchased
eighty acres of heavily timbered land. Soon afterward he contracted to have forty acres of timber slashed and deadened,
but on locating here he had to cut a road a mile in length in order to move his household effects by wagon to his
new home. Finding an old log shanty near his land, he fixed it up and lived there until the following season, when
he built a hewed log house upon the place. He also began to clear and cultivate his land, and as his financial
resources increased he added to his possessions until he owned four hundred and ten acres of valuable land. Upon
the old homestead, comprising two hundred and forty acres, he erected a commodious two story brick residence, a
large barn and substantial outbuildings, making it one of the most desirable farms of the locality. He was a popular
man, widely and favorably known, a stanch Democrat in politics, for a number of years served as township trustee,
and also filled many minor offices of honor and trust. Religiously he was a member of the German Reformed Church,
with which he became connected at the age of twenty two. Deer and other wild animals were abundant when he first
came to Williams county, and one day while on his way to a sale in company with others, during his first year in
Madison township, he discovered a deer caught in the snow, it having broken through the crust and so disabled from
proceeding faster. Their dog caught the deer, and the men placed it in an adjacent corn crib, then on their return
from the sale they dressed it and took it home with them.
GEORGE W. STIVING, one of our subjects, was born in Richland county, Ohio, January 15, 1851, and Peter O.
was born there August to, 1854. Both were educated in School District No. 5, Madison township, Williams county,
and early became familiar with all the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist. At one time they gave
considerable attention to the buying and shipping of stock, but at present devote their entire energies to the
cultivation and improvement of the old homestead, which they now own. Here they have one hundred and twenty acres,
and also own another well improved farm of eighty acres, one half mile distant, and sixty acres south of the homestead.
Their elegant residence commands a fine view of the surrounding country, and the farm is supplied with all modern
improvements. including a good windmill, through which water is supplied to the different lots which contain their
George W. Stiving married Miss Anna Kiser, a native of Fulton county, Ohio, and a daughter of John Kiser, now a
farmer of that county, who was born in Germany, and served as drummer in the German army under General Siegel.
The only child born of this union died in infancy, and the mother died three years later, on January 4, 1893, since
which time George W. has made his home with his brother.
PETER O. STIVING was united in marriage to Miss Martha J. Kunkle, who was born in Williams county, a daughter
of H. S. Kunkle, and died in 1881. In June, 1887, Mr. Stiving was again married, his second union being with Miss
Mary E. Wallace, who was born in Mill Creek township, Williams county, January 22, 1868. Her parents, Lockwood
M. and Emily (Stants) Wallace, were natives of New York State and Crawford county, Ohio, respectively, but were
married in Williams county. The paternal grandfather, Samuel Wallace, came to Williams county at a very early day,
but, as the country was new and seemed very unhealthy at that time, he returned to New York State after about two
years. In 1847, however, he again came to this region, and here improved a farm. Game of all kinds was then quite
plentiful, and during the first winter spent here he was enabled to kill many deer with a club, as they would break
through the crust on the snow and be unable to extricate themselves. Lockwood Wallace grew to manhood amid these
primitive scenes, and for many years successfully followed farming, but he and his wife are now living retired
in the village of Kunkle, Williams county. They are earnest members of the United Brethren Church, and he was formerly
a Republican in politics, but is now a free silver Democrat. During the Civil war he served for a year and a half
as a Union soldier. His children are Mary E.; Mrs. Liddia M. Erick; and Rosa E. To Peter O. Stiving and his wife
have been born three children, whose names and dates of birth are as follows: Martha B., January 2, 1888; Grover
C., July 31, 1891; and Bessie R., April 17, 1894.
Politically the Stiving brothers are both stalwart supporters of the Democracy, and advocate the free coinage of
silver. Although they have never cared for official honors, they have creditably served in several township offices,
including those of supervisor and school director. For over a year and a half Peter O. also carried the mail on
horseback from Deer Lick to Kunkle. Wherever known they are held in high esteem, and have a host of warm friends
throughout the county.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium