ANSON B. SMITH.
The editor and proprietor of the "Deshler Flag," of Deshler, Henry county, Anson B. Smith, was born
December 6, 1853, in Bellefontaine, Ohio, where he was reared and educated, and afterward learned the printer's
trade, serving a three years' apprenticeship.
Mr. Smith then went to South Bend, Indiana, where for three years he was employed on the "South Bend Register,"
at the time Schuyler Colfax (the owner of the paper) was vice president. Subsequently going to Nappanee, Indiana,
he there established the "Nappanee News," which he conducted for a year, and on selling out that journal
he worked at different places until the fall of 1882, when he purchased the North Baltimore (Ohio) "Gazette."
After publishing the paper at that place for two years, he removed the plant to Bowling Green, Ohio, where he printed
the first daily paper ever published in the town. Two years later he disposed of the plant, and went to Knights
town, Indiana, to take charge of the printing department of the Soldiers and Sailors Orphans' Home, with which
he was connected for two years. In January, 1894, he came to Deshler, and has since been editor and proprietor
of the "Deshler Flag," which now has a circulation of some nine hundred copies. It is one of the most
popular journals of the county, and as it is ably edited it well deserves its popularity and success.
In Dayton, Ohio, Mr. Smith was married in April, 1882, to Miss Anna C. Thomas, a native of Columbus, this State.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium