Clayton E. Tucker, who is president of the Tucker Abstract Company, 214 Citizens Bank Building, is a leader
among the representative business men of Norwalk. He was born at Fitchville, Huron County, Sept. 22, 1874, the
son of Edgar L. and Mary L. (Clark) Tucker.
Edgar L. Tucker came to Ohio from Madison County, New York, during his early life and settled at Fitchville, where
he became successful and widely known as a manufacturer of cheese and butter. He later established a branch factory
at Olena, and was indentified with this enterprise until his retirement. Mr. Tucker died in 1913 and his wife died
in 1926. Both are buried in Norwalk. She was born at Camden, Lorain County, Ohio. Mr. Tucker was a Republican in
politics and held the office of township treasurer. He was an active member of the Baptist Church and belonged
to the Maccabees. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Tucker: 1. Apamie F., married A. B. Chase Palmer,
lives at Ashtabula, Ohio. 2. Clayton E., twin brother of Apamie, and subject of this sketch. 3. Clifton D., lives
at San Fernando, Calif. 4. Kent, lives at Detroit, Mich. 5. Ford, lives at Sheridan, N. Y. 6. Clyde, lives at Norwalk.
7. Clark C., lives at San Fernando. He is a veteran of the World War, and was editor of the history which won first
award in the national contest of histories of the various legion posts, as author of the history presented by Ken-Bur-Bell
Post No. 41, American Legion.
Clayton E. Tucker is a graduate of Fitchville High School, class of 1891, and attended Fostoria Business College
and Fostoria Academy. For several years he was identified with his father's manufacturing business, and later taught
school in Huron County. He was appointed deputy clerk of courts in 1899, and in 1902 was appointed deputy clerk
of the Probate Court, in which capacity he served for a period of six years. Mr. Tucker was elected clerk of courts
Nov. 8, 1908, being the only Republican elected to office in the county during that year. He was reelected to office
in 1910. Since 1913 Mr. Tucker has been interested in the abstract business, and was associated with Albert C.
Holliday as a member of the firm of Holliday & Tucker until 1917, when the business was incorporated as the
Tucker Abstract Company, with Mr. Tucker as vice president. He has served as president of the company since 1919.
He is also a director of the Home Savings & Loan Company.
Mr. Tucker married Miss Gertha V. Dowler and they have two sons: 1. Edgar L., a graduate of the Oberlin School
of Commerce, now a teller in the Citizens National Bank, Norwalk. He married Miss Marian Anderson, of Norwalk.
2. Paul C., a graduate of Norwalk High School, attends the Oberlin School of Commerce.
Mr. Tucker is a Republican, a member of the Baptist Church, and belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
Knights of Pythias, B. P. O. Elks, No. 730, and Kiwanis Club. He is treasurer of the Huron County Automobile Club.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium