Biography of John C. Tilton
North Central Ohio Biographies





John C. Tilton, who died Jan. 5, 1919, was numbered among the representative and highly esteemed citizens of Orange Township, Ashland County. He was born there June 6, 1877, the son of Wilbur and Mary Tilton, both of whom were natives of Ashland County. He died in 1921 and is buried at Nankin. His widow lives near Polk, Ohio.

John C. Tilton's entire life was spent on a farm in Orange Township. He was educated in the district school and attended Baldwin Wallace College, and also took a business course in Cleveland. He became one of the leading and most prosperous farmers of Orange Township, and also was interested extensively in the raising of pure bred stock.

Mr. Tilton was married in September, 1899, to Miss Bessie Lovering, who was an invalid for many years before her death, March 6, 1916, and this period was marked by his devotion and tender care in administering to her comfort. On May 2, 1918, he married Mrs. Myrtle Lovering, who survives him. She was born in Jackson Township, Ashland County, the daughter of John R. and Amanda (Wicks) Miller. He was a native of Ashland County and died on his farm near Polk in 1916. His widow, a native of Medina County, lives at Ashland with her daughter, Mrs. Tilton. Throughout hIs life Mr. Miller was a progressive farmer of Jackson Township, and for several years engaged in business with his brother, D. O. Miller, as proprietors of a feed business in Ashland. By a former marriage Mrs. Tilton has two daughters: Geneva Lurelle, a graduate of Ashland College, now attends the University of Michigan, lives at home; and Marjory Anita, a student of Oberlin Conservatory of Music, where she specialized in the study of violin. She now attends Ashland College.

Mrs. Myrtle Tilton is a member of the Methodist Church and is active in the work of the Foreign Missionary Society, of which she is an officer. She also belongs to the Friday Bible Club. The family lives at 318 Sandusky Street, Ashland.

Mr. Tilton was a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Nankin. He was a patriotic, progressive and public spirited citizen, a model of business enterprise and integrity and a Christian gentleman. He possessed unlimited energy and his life was a record of action and achievement. The things he took hold of moved. The church, the school, business, patriotic endeavor, civic righteousness and social affairs were all on a higher plane because of his influence. An outstanding trait in his character was his intense loyalty, loyalty to principle, family, friends, church, and country. The things he believed to be right he stood for under all circumstances. Every phase of war work during the World War claimed his time and attention. For days at a time he neglected his own work for the cause of liberty and democracy. He sold more Liberty Bonds than any other man in the community. Remarkably successful in soliciting funds for the Red Cross and for the Y. M. C. A., his efforts in leaving a larger measure of the spirit of philanthropy and a broader conception of Christian opportunity among those whom he visited was outstanding.

From:
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1931


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
North Central Ohio Biographies

Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

Ohio
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012