John Lewis Stevens, M. D., is numbered among the outstanding physicians and surgeons of Mansfield, where he
has successfully engaged in practice for 35 years. He was born at Blooming Grove, formerly Richland County and
now included in Morrow County, April 1, 1870 the son of Alfred L. and Phoebe R. (Davis) Stevens.
Alfred L. Stevens, retired, is a veteran of the Civil War. He was born at Blooming Grove in 1843 and throughout
his active career engaged in general farming and stock raising. He has lived retired since 1908 at Galion, Ohio.
He served throughout the Civil War with an Ohio regiment of infantry. Mr. Stevens is a Republican, a member of
the Seventh Day Adventist Church and belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic. His wife was born at Blooming Grove
and died in 1928. She is buried at Galion. To Mr. and Mrs. Stevens the following children were born: John Lewis,
the subject of this sketch; Olga M., married Charles Douglass, lives at Akron, Ohio; Gilbert, who served as marshal
of the Third District of Alaska, with headquarters at Fairbanks, where he has extensive mining interests; Harry
B., farmer, lives near Galion; Glenn A., farmer, lives on the old homestead near Galion; and Edwin, U. S. government
service, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Alfred L. Stevens is the son of Hiram and Phoebe (Stearns) Stevens, natives of Susquehanna County, Pa. He was born
in 1800 and came to Richland County in 1823. For a time he was employed on the building of the canal at Cleveland,
Ohio, and later purchased 80 acres of land near Blooming Grove at $1.25 per acre. He subsequently purchased a second
tract of the same size and at the same price. Phoebe (Stearns) Stevens traced her ancestry back to Amos and Phebe
(Tripp) Harding, who were her grandparents. Amos Harding was born at Port Jarvis, N. Y., March 19, 1764, and died
in Richland County in 1839. His wife was born in 1769 and died in 1847. They were married in Luzerne County, Pa.,
in 1784. The late President Warren G. Harding was a member of the sixth generation descended from Amos Harding,
who had come to Richland County in 1820. Phebe Tripp was a cousin of Frances Slocum, who was captured by the Indians
at Wyoming, Pa.
John Lewis Stevens received his early education in the public schools of Blooming Grove and Galion, and attended
Battle Creek (Mich.) College. He received the degree of Doctor of Medicine from Starling Medical College, now the
College of Medicine of Ohio State University, in 1895, and immediately established his practice at Mansfield. In
1897 and 1899 he took post graduate work in Chicago and in 1910 studied at the University of Vienna. He was elected
a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1914 and went to Panama in 1923 to attend the dedication of the
Gorgas Memorial Institute, which completed the organization of the American College of Surgeons in the South American
In 1897 Doctor Stevens was united in marriage with Miss Anna J. Patterson, the daughter of John and Caroline Elizabeth
(Sackett) Patterson, the former a native of Donegal, Pa., and the latter of New York. Mr. Patterson engaged in
business in Columbus, Ohio, for many years and retired in 1912. He died at Mansfield, Aug. 18, 1918, and his wife
died in April, 1891. They are buried in Greenlawn Cemetery, Columbus. Mr. and Mrs. Patterson had three children:
Walter S. and Earl, both deceased; and Anna J. Stevens. Doctor and Mrs. Stevens have no children.
Doctor Stevens is identified with the Richland County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical Association, and American
Medical Association. He is a Republican, a member of the First Congregational Church, and belongs to the Mansfield
Country Club, and Chamber of Commerce. He has the following lodge affiliations: Venus Lodge, No. 152, Free and
Accepted Masons; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M.; Mansfield Council; Mansfield Cornmandery, K. T.; Dayton Consistory,
32nd degree; Al Koran Temple; B. P. O. Elks, No. 56; and Modern Woodmen of America.
Doctor Stevens is a member of the staff of the Mansfield General Hospital and is an appointed physician for the
United States Employees Compensation Commission.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium