L. A. Smothers is widely and favorably known throughout Knox County as the capable superintendent of the Knox
County Children's Home. He was born in Genoa Township, Delaware County, Ohio, Oct. 29, 1887, the son of Perry and
Anna (Jones) Smothers.
Both Perry Smothers and his wife are natives of Genoa Township, born in 1857 and 1859, respectively. Their children
are: 1. Bert, lives at Delaware, Ohio. 2. Minerva, lives at Omaha, Neb. 3. Carl, lives at home. 4. L. A., the subject
of this sketch. 5. Eva, married John Blindt, lives at Mt. Vernon. 6. Blanche, married Elmer Stough, lives at Westerville,
Ohio. 7. Lucy, married Herman Stough, lives near Columbus, Ohio. 8. Perry, Jr., who lives in Colorado. He is a
veteran of the World War and was serving in the U. S. army before the war, having been in the service for almost
nine years. He was severely gassed and wounded in France and is now endeavoring to recover his health in Colorado.
L. A. Smothers attended the district schools of Genoa Township. After leaving the grade schools, he entered the
seminary at Fairmount, Ind., in 1912, where he studied for the ministry. Two years later he entered the Church
of God College at Findlay, Ohio, being ordained a minister of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. He spent four years
in pastoral work at Greer, Ohio, and was located in Mt. Vernon for one year. }Ie was appointed superintendent of
the Knox County Children's Home, Sept. 1, 1923.
On Aug. 28, 1915, Mr. Smothers married Miss Hazel Williams, the daughter of Russell and Fanny (Ford) Williams.
Mr. Williams was born at Williamsville, Ohio, in 1847, and died at Columbus, May 22, 1917. His wife, a native of
Columbus, died in 1895. They had three children: 1. Florence, married Walter Loop, lives at Sunbury, Ohio. 2. Frank.
3. Hazel Smothers. Mrs. Smothers is a graduate of the public schools of Worthington, Ohio, and was a teacher before
her marriage. She also attended Wooster College. Mr. and Mrs. Smothers have an adopted son, Fred, born in 1923.
The Knox County Children's Home was established in 1915. A fine farm of 117 acres is owned and operated in connection
with the institution. There are accommodations for 42 children, with a present enrollment of 35. The children attend
the public school, which is located threequarters of a mile from the home. Since November, 1929, practically all
of the work in connection with the Home has been carried on by Mr. Smothers with the able assistance of the boys,
each having a daily task to complete. Mrs. Smothers is in complete charge of the girls. It has always been the
ambition of Mr. and Mrs. Smothers to carry on the management of the Home with a truly family spirit, and it is
evident that the children are enjoying as much of a normal family life as is possible.
The Knox County Children's Home is under the direct supervision of the public welfare department of Ohio. The trustees
are: H. C. Devin, C. M. Barber, R. L. Jones, Mrs. S. L. Anderson, all of Mt. Vernon, and Fred Amos, of Fredericktown.
The girls at the home have the only 4-H Club in any similar institution in the State of Ohio. Mrs. S. L. Anderson
is their leader in this work. During the Knox County Fair in 1930, the Club made an exhibit, which received much
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium