Tilmon H. Smith, M. D. One of the most prominent and successful professional men of Huron County is Doctor Smith,
who is engaged in the practice of medicine at New London. He was born at Water Valley, Miss., July 31, 1883, the
son of Rev. Tilmon Holley and Frances (Hawkins) Smith.
Rev. Tilmon Holley Smith was born in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and his wife was a native of Banner, Miss. He was a professor
of mathematics in the Southern Alabama Institute for a number of years, and later became a minister of the Baptist
Church. He died in 1896 and his wife died in 1927. Both are buried at Elzey, Miss. He was a Democrat and belonged
to Masonic Lodge. There were six children in the Smith family, as follows: Samuel, who is serving as sheriff of
Cahoon County, Miss.; Tilmon H., the subject of this sketch; Myrtle, married Virgil Cabe, lives at Mize, Miss.;
Mary Lee, the widow of B. Clark, lives at Mize, Miss.: and George, who died at Mize, Miss., in 1927.
The early education of Tilmon H. Smith was received in the public schools of Pittsboro, Miss., and after his graduation
from high school in 1899 he entered the University of Mississippi, from which he received the degree of Bachelor
of Arts in 1902. He spent one year in the Mississippi Medical College, and received the degree of Doctor of Medicine
at the University of Tennessee in 1915. The following year he served as an interne in St. Joseph's Hospital, Memphis,
Tenn., and was also assistant pathologist and bacteriologist at the University of Tennessee. He began his professional
career at Pittsboro, Miss., and in 1923 was made chief surgeon of Santo Tomas Hospital, Panama City, Canal Zone.
He served in that capacity for one year and on Feb. 15, 1924, was appointed chief surgeon of the Cabin Creek Consolidated
Coal Company, of Charleston, W. Va., where he remained until the mines were closed in July, 1924. He has since
engaged in practice at New London. Doctor Smith is a member of the Huron County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical
Society, and the American Medical Association.
In 1908 Doctor Smith was united in marriage with Miss Mickie Stone, the daughter of John A. Stone, of Tennessee.
She died in 1910 and is buried at Okolona, Miss. Their daughter, Fanny Catherine, lives at New London. Doctor Smith
married (second) Dec. 26, 1916, Miss Hortense Gregory, the daughter of William Harrison and Ada (Knowles) Gregory.
The former is deceased and the later lives in Mississippi.
Doctor Smith is a Democrat, a member of the Baptist Church, of which he is a deacon, and he belongs to the Kappa
Psi fraternity. He is affiliated with Floral Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 260; Albert Pike Consistory, 32nd degree;
Wahaba Temple; Masonic Club; and New London Shrine Club.
During the World War Dr. Smith served with the rank of first lieutenant, U. S. Medical Corps.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium