Alonzo Covert Smith, M. D. During the 15 years that he has been established in general practice at Wooster,
Dr. Alonzo Covert Smith has proven his skill as a physician and his worth as a citizen, and today stands out as
one of the foremost men of Wayne County. He was born at Loudonyule, Nov. 13, 1887, the son of Arthur Howard and
Alice. Sarah (Derr) Smith.
Arthur Howard Smith is widely known in Wooster, where he is manager of Hotel Wooster. He was born at West Salem,
Ohio, and as a young man learned the tanner's trade at Loudonville. Later he clerked in the old Barney Keister
House, and for a time engaged in business at Canton, Ohio, as a dealer in house furnishings. He also conducted
a business at Akron, but returned to Wooster in 1896, where he spent several years as a clerk in the old American
Hotel. Mr. Smith was next identified with the rural mail service out of Wooster and was thus engaged for 26 years
before accepting his present position as manager of Hotel Wooster. Alice Sarah (Derr) Smith was born in Franklin
Township, Wayne County, and died in 1903. She is buried in Wooster Cemetery. There were five children in the Smith
family: Chloe Blanch, lives at Wooster; Estella Marie Johnson, lives at Wooster; Russell Derrwood, lives at Youngstown;
Grace Mae Zaring, lives at Wooster; and Alonzo Covert, the subject of this sketch.
Alonzo Covert Smith was three years old when his family removed from Loudonville to Wooster. Two years later they
removed to Canton, where he received his early education. After his graduation from Wooster High School in 1906,
he spent two years at Wooster College. He was graduated from the University of Michigan in 1911, and received the
degree of Doctor of Medicine at the same institution in 1915. He served as interne in the University of Michigan
Hospital, and in July, 1916, began the practice of medicine and surgery at Wooster, as junior member of the finn
of Kinny, Knestrick & Smith, at the K. and K. Hospital, 111 South Bever Street. In 1919 Doctor Smith established
offices in the New Peoples Savings & Loan Building and nine years later removed to the Yocum Building, where
he is now located. Doctor Smith installed the first complete X-ray outfit in Wayne County in his offices in 1917.
He served as first assistant to J. J. Kinney, surgeon, from the beginning of his academic work in 1908, and studied
with Dr. Van Zwaluwenburg, of Ann Arbor, for three months in 1919. He has made a specialty of Roentgenology and
Surgery, and has been surgeon for the Timken Tube Company since 1928 at its local plant in Wooster. He is also
examining surgeon for the Shell Petroleum Company in the district of Wayne County, and served as special physician
and surgeon for the Wooster College Athletic Association from 1917 until 1928 when Student Health Service, in charge
of Dr. Wildman, was founded and took over the athletic work.
On Dec. 27, 1911, Doctor Smith was united in marriage with Miss Gail Marie Kinney, of Creston, Ohio, the daughter
of John J. and Annabelle (Walton) Kinney, natives of Wayne County, and residents of Wooster. They are the parents
of the following children: Donald Kinney, Richard Nelson, Dudley Alonzo, Russell Briggs, Roger Jennings, Annabelle,
Alonzo Covert, Jr., Dorothy, William, and Patricia.
Doctor Smith is a Republican, a member of the English Reformed Church, and belongs to the Masonic Lodge, 32nd degree,
charter member of B. P. O. Elks, No. 1346, Century Club, charter member of Wooster Rotary Club, and member of Alpha
Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Kappa fraternity. He is also a member of Gaeleans, Honorary Medical Society, University
of Michigan, and the Wayne County, Ohio State and American Medical societies.
During the World War Doctor Smith received the commission of first lieutenant in the Medical Reserve Corps, U.
S. Army, his commission being personally signed by Woodrow Wilson. He was never ordered to duty, but served on
the local draft board during the war period. His family of five sons at that time probably deferred assignment
to active duty.
He has been a member of Wooster Country Club since 1920. In 1928 he built Wooster's first public golf course, known
as Hillcrest, on the Lincoln Highway, one-half mile east of Wooster. This enterprise is his avocation, from which
he derives much satisfaction in affording his old friends and schoolmates an economical place to play golf.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium