Hon. Clyde C. Sherick. One of the outstanding figures in professional figures in North Central Ohio is Hon.
Clyde C. Sherick, who is Judge of the Appellate Court of the Fifth District of Ohio. He was born in Ashland, April
2, 1885, the son of Dr. Abram L. and Ruth (Thomas) Sherick.
Dr. Abram L. Sherick, deceased, was a representative citizen of Ashland, where he engaged in the practice of medicine
for almost 40 years. He was born near Burbank, in Wayne County, the son of Rev. David Sherick, who was a minister
of the Evangelical Church. Dr. Sherick attended the district schools of Wayne County, and studied medicine at New
York University. He came to Ashland to establish his practice in 1879, and was among the pioneer surgeons of the
county. He conducted a private hospital in the city which was the first hospital known in the city's history. Dr.
Sherick spent much time in graduate study in clinics throughout the United States and Europe, and spent an entire
year in study at Berlin, Germany. He died in 1917, and is buried in Ashland. He was a Republican, a member of the
Methodist Church, and belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Ruth (Thomas) Sherick was born in Ashland
County, her ancestors having come to Ohio from New England during the early days. They were prominent Democrats
and held numerous public offices. She died in 1912. Two sons were born to Doctor and Mrs. Sherick: Charles, a farmer,
lives near Ashland; and Clyde C., the subject of this sketch.
After his graduation from Ashland High School in 1903, Clyde C. Sherick entered Ohio State University, from which
he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1908, and the degree of LL. B. in 1910. After being admitted to the
bar he returned to Ashland and was associated in the practice of law with M. V. Semple, as a member of the firm
of Semple & Sherick, from 1910 until 1918. Mr. Sherrick then established his private practice at his present
location in the Farmers Bank Building. He served as city solicitor for two years, and was one of a body of 15 men
elected to the charter commission of the city of Ashland, at which time he was also elected to serve as law director.
In November, 1928, he was elected to his present office as Judge of the Appellate Court.
In November, 1912, Judge Sherick married Miss Kate Prindle, of Charleston, W. Va., the daughter of Myron Beecher
and Elizabeth (Hill) Prindle. He was born at Genessee, N. Y., and died in 1924. His wife, a native of Fairfield
County, Ohio, died in 1928. Both are buried at Charlestown, W. Va. Judge and Mrs. Sherick have a daughter, Nancy
Benton, born March 10, 1925.
Judge Sherick is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church, and belongs to Ashland Lodge, F. & A. M.,
Ashland Chapter, Ashland Council, Mansfield Commandery, Scioto Consistory, 32nd degree, and Al Koran Shrine, of
Cleveland. He also is affiliated with B. P. O. Elks No. 1360, and belongs to the Lions Club, Phi Delta Phi and
Phi Delta Theta fraternities. He is a member of the Ashland Country Club. Judge Sherick was one of the founders
of the Bucket and Dipper Club at Ohio State University, and held membership in the Sphinx Society, honorary senior
organization at the University.
Judge Sherick owns a fine farm of 160 acres just south of Ashland, where he is interested in the raising of dairy
cattle, at the present time having about 30 head of pure bred stock on the place.
Judge Sherick is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Ashland Building & Loan Company.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium