Charles Lee Shafer is perhaps one of the most prominent of the younger physicians and surgeons of Richland County,
engaged in the practice of his profession at Mansfield, with offices in the Walpark Building. He was born in this
city, Feb. 12, 1898, the son of Delno F. Shafer.
A complete sketch of Delno. F. Shafer appears elsewhere in this history.
Charles Lee Shafer spent his early life in Mansfield and in 1916 was graduated from Mansfield High School. He received
the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Western Reserve University, Cleveland, in 1920, and three years later was graduated
from the School of Medicine, Western Reserve University. He then served as an interne at Lakeside Hospital, Cleveland,
and during 1924-25 was resident physician at Cleveland City Hospital. Doctor Shafer came to Mansfield in 1925 with
child health demonstration work, and during 1926-27 was assistant health commissioner of Mansfield. He was acting
health commissioner in 1928 and later in that year engaged in private practice in the city.
In 1923 Doctor Shafer was united in marriage with Miss Miriam Platt Gugler, the daughter of W. H. and Charlotte
(Platt) Gugler, the former a native of Galion and the latter of Mansfield. Mr. Gugler is president of the G. &
H. Supply Company in Mansfield.
Doctor Shafer is an active member of the Richland County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical Society, American
Medical Association, and Central State Pediatric Society. He is a Democrat, a member of the First Lutheran Church,
Phi Gamma Delta and Nu Sigma Nu fraternities, and Optimist Club.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium