Henry J. Schulz. As president of the Ashland Building & Loan Company, and chief of the Ashland Fire Department,
Henry J. Schulz is numbered among the city's most outstanding citizens. He was born here, Sept. 18, 1867, the son
of John and Christina (Long) Schulz.
John Schulz, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War. He was born in Wittenberg, Germany, as was his wife. At
the age of 18 years he came to the United States and immediately located at Elyria, Ohio. At the outbreak of the
Civil War he volunteered for service and saw more than three years of service. He came to Ashland in 1866 and followed
his trade as a carpenter for a number of years, but later became interested in the grocery and produce business.
He was also the proprietor of a restaurant. Mr. Schulz died April 14, 1899, and his wife died June 15, 1904. Both
are buried in Ashland. Mr. Schulz was a Democrat, a member of the Peace Lutheran Church, and belonged to the Grand
Army of the Republic. To Mr. and Mrs. Schulz were born five children, as follows: Henry J., the subject of this
sketch; Charles, lives at Ashland; Anna, who died Sept. 21, 1906; Augusta, who died Dec. 18, 1905; and Lottie C.,
who died Aug. 28, 1913. She was the wife of Charles Crowenwett, of Ashland.
Henry J. Schulz has always lived in Ashland. He is a graduate of the public schools and as a young man was employed
as a painter in the city. He is perhaps the oldest active member of the Ashland Fire Department, having become
a volunteer in the service in 1889. He served under Chief Myers, and as assistant chief under Chief Strauss. In
1922 Mr. Schulz was appointed chief of the department. For many years he has been identified with the interests
of the Ashland Building & Loan Company, and has held the office of president since 1918.
In 1906 Mr. Schulz was united in marriage with Miss Emma C. Rick, of Galion, Ohio, the daughter of Jacob and Caroline
(Mueller) Rick. He was born in Germany and came to this country in early life. He met with an accidental death
at Galion on July 7, 1895, and his wife died in 1925. Both are buried at Galion. Mr. Rick had served throughout
the Civil War. Emma C. (Rick) Schulz was born at Galion, July 8, 1875, and was educated there in the public schools.
She was a teacher in the schools of Galion for ten years before her marriage. To Mr. and Mrs. Schulz was born a
daughter, Ruth Virginia, born Sept. 21, 1909. She is a graduate of Ashland High School and Capital University,
class of 1931, where she specialized in the study of fine arts. She held the office of art editor on the "Capitalian,"
the college annual.
Mr. Schulz has always been a Democrat and has served as central commiteeman and chairman of the Democratic central
committee. He held the office of recorder of Ashland County from 1911 until 1915, and was a member of the commission
which framed the Ashland city charter.
Mr. Schulz and his family are active members of the Peace Lutheran Church, and for many years he belonged to the
Sons of Veterans. During the World War he served as a member of the draft board in Ashland County, being appointed
by Governor Cox.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium