Harry A. Parker. One of the substantial and highly esteemed citizens of Mansfield is Harry A. Parker, who is
serving as county recorder of Richland County. He was born in Perry Township, Richland County, Aug. 6, 1887, the
son of George W. and Sophia Jane (Black) Parker.
George W. Parker, a native of Perry Township, was born July 17, 1838. He was a farmer and teacher and throughout
his life lived in Richland County. He was a Democrat and held numerous township offices. He was a member of the
Lutheran Church. Mr. Parker died June 11, 1904. His wife, born at Kendallville, Ind., Nov. 25, 1849, died Feb.
22, 1914. Both are buried in Salem Cemetery, near Belleville, Ohio. Their children were: Blanche, who died Oct.
9, 1887; Florence E., married Harry E. Cook, lives near Johnsville, Morrow County, Ohio; and Harry A., the subject
of this sketch.
George W. Parker was the son of Robert and Catherine (Schultz) Parker, the former a native of Scotland, and the
latter of Germany. He was a pioneer settler of Perry Township, Richland County, having purchased 80 acres of land
from the Wooster Land Office in 1822. Before coming to Ohio he lived at Baltimore, Md. He and his wife are buried
in Center Cemetery, Perry Township. Sophia Jane (Black) Parker was the daughter of Frederick A. and Sophia (Shaffer)
Black, natives of Richland County, and early settlers of Noble County, Ind. They are buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery,
near Kendallville, Ind.
The boyhood of Harry A. Parker was spent on his father's farm in Perry Township and he attended the district schools.
Mr. Parker continued to operate the home place after his father's death in 1904, and remained there until 1914,
at which time the estate was leased. During 1914-15 Mr. Parker traveled in the West and late in 1915 returned to
Belleville, Ohio. Due to ill health he was forced to retire from business until 1919, at which time he established
a tire and automobile accessory business in Mansfield. He disposed of the business two years later and became a
representative in Richland County for the McClure Company of Saginaw, Mich., lumber dealers. In November, 1924,
Mr. Parker was elected recorder of Richland County, and reelected to that office in November, 1926, serving until
Mr. Parker is identified with the Democratic party in politics. He is a member of the First Lutheran Church and
belongs to Frank H Marquis Lodge, No. 690, Free and Accepted Masons, and Baku Grotto, M. O. V. P. E. R.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium