Biography of Solomon M. Myers
North Central Ohio Biographies





Solomon M. Myers. As superintendent of the Wayne County Children's Home, Mr. Myers is widely known throughout North Central Ohio. He was born in Cedar Valley, Wayne County, June 2, 1870, the son of Jacob and Mary (Miller) Myers.

Jacob Myers was born in Wayne County in 1840, his parents having come to Ohio from Pennsylvania during the early days. They were of Dutch descent and were successful farmers. Jacob Myers died in 1910 and is buried in Overton Cemetery, Wayne County. His wife was born in Congress Township, Wayne County, in 1843, and died in 1904. She was the daughter of Henry Miller, who was among the first settlers of Congress Township. To Mr. and Mrs. Myers were born the following children: John, lives in Wayne County; Solomon M., the subject of this sketch; Effie, married George Grossman, lives at Wooster; Roy, lives at Wooster; Charles, deceased; Andrew and Perry, who died in infancy; Marie Ewing, deceased; and Margaret Grossman, deceased.

Solomon M. Myers obtained his education in the public schools of Overton. He is a graduate of Ohio University and spent 26 years as a teacher in the schools of Wayne County. He was also a minister of the United Brethren Church for many years, having under his charge Madisonburg and Honeytown, both in Wayne County. Mr. Myers retired from the ministry and teaching profession in 1920 to accept the appointment as superintendent of the Wayne County Children's Home.

On March 27, 1904, Mr. Myers married Miss Olive Walton, who was born at Mechanicsburg, Ohio, Oct. 25, 1876, the daughter of Hiram and Mary Walton, both deceased. They have a daughter, Pearl, who is the wife of Willis Brattin, of Ashland. They have two children, Vivian Lenora and Richard D.

Mr. Myers is a Democrat and a member of the United Brethren Church.

The Wayne County Children's Home was established and sponsored by Wayne County in 1881, with a Mr. Pinkerton as its first superintendent. Mr. Myers was preceded in the office of superintendent by W. C. McCullough.

Records of the institution show that the first boy to register in the Home was George Dewey, who was admitted March 20, 1882. During that year 50 children were registered. Up to Oct. 21, 1930, there have been 1,031 children living at the institution. The farm contains 82 acres of land and has accommodations for 50 children.

From:
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1931


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
North Central Ohio Biographies

Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

Ohio
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012