Charles E. Morris. One of Shelby's leading citizens and representative business men is Charles E. Morris, who
is successfully engaged in the real estate business. He has always been prominent in local politics, having served
continuously as mayor from 1916 until 1926, and as chairman of the Richland County Republican Central Committee
from 1928 until 1931. Mr. Morris was born in Butler Township, Richland County, Oct. 26, 1869, the son of Gideon
Baker and Eliza J. (Urich) Morris.
Gideon Baker Morris was a native of Beaver County, Pa., born in 1845, and his wife was born in Richland County.
In 1847 Mr. Morris settled in Butler Township, Richland County, with his parents. He became the owner of 100 acres
of land and at the time of his death in 1914 was numbered among the prosperous farmers of the township. He is buried
at Shelby. Mr. Morris was a Republican and a trustee of the Christian Church. The only child born to Mr. and Mrs.
Morris was Charles E., the subject of this sketch.
Charles E. Morris grew up on his father's farm in Butler Township and attended the district schools. He also was
a student at Angola College. His business career began as a clerk in the employ of Gass, Hott & Sturgis, merchants,
of Mansfield. He later became manager of the Louie Hoerr Store in Toledo, Ohio, who were wholesale and retail wallpaper
dealers. In 1895 Mr. Morris came to Shelby, where he conducted a meat and grocery business until 1904, the store
being located on North Broadway and East Smiley Avenue. In 1904 Mr. Morris became interested in the real estate
and insurance business in Shelby and became one of the leading realtors of Richland County. He disposed of his
insurance interests in 1915.
On June 5, 1892, Mr. Morris was united in marriage with Miss Laminta Fickes, the daughter of Wesley and Sarah Fickes,
who were natives of Richland County, both now deceased. He was an extensive farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Morris are the
parents of three daughters: Iva M., the widow of George Noland, lives at Shelby with her son, George; Martha Jane,
married Frank Armstrong, lives at Chicago, IlL, and they have a daughter, Barbara Ann; and Katheryn J., who lives
Mr. Morris has always been a Republican. He is a trustee of the Presbyterian Church, and belongs to the Knights
of Pythias. Mr. Morris is deputy commissioner of motor vehicles and tax collector for the northern part of Richland
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium