Theodore R. Meyer, M. D. As city and county health commissioner, Doctor Theodore R. Meyer is recognized as one
of the leading medical practitioners of Richland County. He was born at Sag Harbor, Long Island, N. Y., March 28,
1897, the son of Morris and Rae (Smith) Meyer.
Morris Meyer was born in Germany, as was also his wife. They came to the United States in 1875 and five years later
established a real estate and insurance business at Sag Harbor, Long Island, which was conducted by Dr. Meyer for
many years. He died June 20, 1929, and is buried at Sag Harbor. Mr. Meyer was a Republican and served as mayor
for ten years. He held membership in the Presbyterian Church, and belonged to Continental Lodge, F. & A. M.,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, B. P. O. Elks, Order of Redmen, and Haymakers. To Mr. and Mrs. Meyer were born
four sons: John, Harry, Myron, and Theodore R. All are residents of Sag Harbor with the exception of Doctor Meyer.
Theodore R. Meyer received his education in the public and high schools of Sag Harbor, from which he was graduated
in 1915. He spent 1916-17 at New York University and at the outbreak of the World War enlisted in the U. S. Medical
Corps and was sent to France, where he was assigned to the chief surgeon's office of Advance Section, A. E. F.
Doctor Meyer was discharged with the rank of sergeant on July 19, 1919, and then attended the University of Beauve
in France, where he was awarded a certificate in public health work. During 1919-20 he attended Bowdoin College
at Brunswick, Maine, and in 1923 received the degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of South Carolina.
He immediately engaged in public health work at Beaufort, S. C., and held the offices of city and county health
commissioner, International Health Board of the Rockefeller Foundation. Doctor Meyer specialized in the study of
malaria and hookworm during this period. In 1924 he became a member of the original committee of South Carolina,
Corporation of the United States Public Health Service in the investigation and original certification for interstate
shipping of shell fish. He also served as public health consultant for Commanding General Lee, U. S. Marines, Marine
Barracks, Paris Island, S. C. In 1926 he was appointed by the state of West Virginia as city and state health commissioner,
at Parkersburg, W. Va. He organized the unit and work that fostered the entire milk program of the U. S. P. H.
S. throughout the United States, Parkersburg, W. Va., being the first city to adopt it. Doctor Meyer came to Mansfield
in his present capacity as city and county health commissioner in 1928.
In 1928 Doctor Meyer was united in marriage with Miss Dorothy Timmons, the daughter of Charles and Fannie Timmons,
of Parkersburg, W. Va. Mr. Timmons is deceased and his widow lives at Parkersburg.
Doctor Meyer holds membership in the Christian Church, and belongs to Centennial Lodge, F. & A. M. He is an
honorary member of the Richland County Medical Society, and American Public Health Association. He also belongs
to the American Legion, Battle Shellburg Post.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium