William C. Martin, M. D., is one of the representative and widely known physicians and surgeons in Huron County,
having engaged in practice at Monroeville since 1914. He was born in Medina County, Sept. 10, 1883, the son of
William J. and Jennie E. (Watters) Martin.
William J. Martin and his wife are natives of Medina County. He was reared on his father's farm and engaged in
general farming in Medina County until 1892, at which time he removed to Cleveland. Until his retirement in 1915
he was interested in the real estate and building business. Mr. Martin is a Democrat and has held numerous township
offices. He is a member of the Methodist Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Martin only one child was born, William C., the
subject of this sketch.
The early education of William C. Martin was received in the district schools of Medina County. He is a graduate
of Lincoln High School, Cleveland, and in 1905 and 1908 received the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Doctor of
Medicine at Western Reserve University. He served as an interne at Lakeside Hospital, Cleveland, until 1910, and
spent the following two years in the outside patient department of the hospital. After being associated in practice
for one year in Cleveland, Dr. Martin came to Monroeville in January, 1914, where he has established an excellent
practice. During the World War he served with the rank of first lieutenant, U. S. Medical Corps.
Doctor Martin was married in 1914 to Miss Margaret Papworth, the daughter of George S. and Emma (Werner) Papworth,
natives of New York and Ohio respectively. Mr. Papworth is deceased and his widow lives at Monroeville. Doctor
and Mrs. Martin are the parents of a daughter, Elizabeth Jane.
Doctor Martin is a Democrat and in 1924 was an alternate delegate to the National Democratic Convention at Madison
Square Garden, New York. In 1928 he was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention at Houston, Texas, and
served in the capacity of secretary of the Ohio delegation. He was a member of the State Democratic Executive Committee
in 1926, and for the past ten years has been county chairman of the Democratic Executive Committee. Doctor Martin
served as mayor of Monroeville from 1926 until 1930, and is now vice mayor and member of the council. In 1928 he
was the candidate of his party for Congress in the Thirteenth Ohio Congressional District.
Doctor Martin is identified with the Huron County, Ohio State, and American Medical Associations, and belongs to
the Order of Military Surgeons of the United States. His lodge affiliations are: Roby Lodge, F. & A. M., No.
534, Past Master; Huron Chapter, R. A. M., No. 7; Norwalk Council, R. & S. M. M., No. 24, Past Master; Norwalk
Commandery, K. T., No. 18, Past Commander; Toledo Consistory, 32nd degree; Zenobia Temple; and B. P. O. Elks, No.
730, of Norwalk, Ohio.
Doctor Martin is a member of the Episcopal Church. He is former president of the Monroeville Exchange Club. In
1928 he was the candidate of this party for Congress in the Thirteenth Ohio Congressional District.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium