Hon. Edwin Mansfield, attorney, with offices in Mansfield, is a public spirited and influential citizen of Richland
County, having taken a prominent part in the business and civic life of this section of Ohio. He was born at Ashland,
Ohio, June 9, 1861, the son of Martin H. Mansfield, who was born in New York City, the son of a shipbuilder. The
father of Martin H. Mansfield met with an accidental death and his widow, with her two sons, Martin H. and William,
settled at Baltimore, Md. Martin H. later became attached to the family of the late Senator Patterson. The brothers
subsequently went to Mifflintown, Pa., where they married sisters, Martin's wife being Anna Saeger. He owned and
operated a small shop at Steam Corners, Ohio, where he manufactured a clover huller, which was his own invention.
He patented his invention and others in the agricultural implement line and in 1842 removed to Ashland, Ohio, where
he secured larger quarters. In 1876 he retired from active business at Massillon, Ohio, having assigned his patent
to Russell and Company, MassilIon, Ohio. Martin H. Mansfield died in 1880 and his wife died about 10 years later.
He was a man of remarkable talent and his inventions were indicative of his mechanical genius. There were 11 children
in the Mansfield family, three of whom now survive: Edwin, Myra, the widow of Edward R. Swett, resides in New York,
and Newton. The eldest son, W. M., deceased, was a civil engineer, and was in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad
at Zanesville, Ohio, and later at Richmond, Ind. Subsequently he was with the Pan Handle Railroad and later was
superintendent of the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville Railroad at Indianapolis. He developed terminal facilities
at Indianapolis while with the Pennsylvania Railroad and at the time of his death was assistant to the chief engineer
at Pittsburgh, Pa.
Cloyd Mansfield, deceased, was a resident of Ashland, became county clerk of Ashland County when a young man, held
that office for six years, then for two terms was county auditor. He also served as probate judge for two terms
and his period of public service extended over 25 years.
Henry A. Mansfield, deceased, was also in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Indianapolis, where
he became city engineer. He was also a contractor and engaged in government work on the construction of dams and
power plants, with his residence at Indianapolis.
Newton Mansfield was a graduate of the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., and served on the "Detroit"
during the Cuban campaign and later in the Philippines. His health failed and he retired from the service but was
recalled during the World War and placed in charge of naval recruiting in New York City. He now resides at Ashland,
Ohio. The following children died in infancy: John and Howard.
Edwin Mansfield attended Ashland University for two years and in 1881 was employed with a railroad surveying party.
Four years later he took up the study of law in the offices of Skiles & Skiles, Shelby, and in 1886 was admitted
to the bar, having successfully passed his examinations before the Supreme Court of the state. He immediately engaged
in practice at Shelby, where he remained for 16 years. Two months after being admitted to the bar Mr. Mansfield
was elected mayor of Shelby, then a city of 1,800 population. From 1901 until 1907 he engaged in practice with
Frank Long. The firm was dissolved when Mr. Mansfield was placed on the bench as a Common Pleas Judge, to which
office he was elected in 1906. The district comprised Richland, Ashland and Morrow counties, and Mr. Mansfield
retired from the bench after 12 years of service in February, 1919. He also served for a number of years as city
solicitor of Shelby and while in office he directed the installation of various public improvements, including
the paving of streets, building of water works, placing of sewers, the construction of the electric light plant.
Judge Mansfield was one of the organizers of the Citizens Bank of Shelby and has been a director from the time
of its inception in 1903, being the only one of the original board still connected with the bank, and it is one
of the strong financial institutions of the county. In 1899 he was one of the organizers of the Shelby Telephone
Company, of which he has since been a director. In 1890 the Shelby Seamless Tube Company was organized and Judge
Mansfield had an interest in that company. It was subsequently absorbed by the United States Steel Corporation,
and the local plant was later destroyed by fire. In 1908 the Ohio Seamless Tube Company was organized and has developed
into one of the leading industries of Ohio. Judge Mansfield was a member of its board and for five years served
as its chairman. In 1929 he was elected president of the company and still acts in that capacity.
In 1892 Judge Mansfield married Mrs. Ada E. Davis Lowe. They have a daughter, Margaret, married J. W. Cook, general
manager of the Reed Store at Mansfield, and they have two children, John W. Jr., and Edwin Mansfield.
Judge Mansfield is identified with the Richland County Bar Association and Ohio State Bar Association. He is affiliated
with the Masonic Lodge and Rotary Club, and has other numerous connections.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium