The Loudonville, Ohio Schools
North Central Ohio Biographies





The Loudonville Schools. In 1814 the village of Loudonville was founded by Louden Priest. During the next four years the village grew, new settlers came in, and it was not long until this new settlement felt the need of an institution of learning. Tradition has it that Silas Parker established the first school in 1818 by subscription. The first remembered school was the old plank school house erected on the southeast quarter of the public square. It had no floor and only two windows. William Robeson was the first remembered teacher in the school.

In the same year that saw Loudonville made a part of Ashland County, a new stone schoolhouse was erected on the square north of the Baptist Church. It was abandoned several years later because it was too small to fill the needs of the growing community. Two years later, in 1846, after the erection of this stone school building, a movement started to erect an academy. The funds were raised by public subscription and a fourroom building was erected on North Union Street. The Academy flourished under Professor McCormick and later under Professor A. J. Scott. In 1852 the Academy passed into the hands of N. Haskell and was known as Haskell’s Academy. The Academy was discontinued in 1865.

On March 27, 1850, Loudonville was incorporated by an act of the General Assembly. About this time a new school building was erected on the site of the present school playground. It was a larger frame building with only one room. Other rooms were added from time to time until there were six rooms in a row, all of one story high. This building was familiarly known as the “Sheep Pen.” Schools at this time were generally supported by subscription and were open only about three months out of the year. In the fall of 1877 Loudonville High School was organized under the direction of R. . Hissem. The classes were held in the “Sheep Pen” then consisting of seven rooms. The seventh and eighth grades were in the basement of Trinity Parsonage. Two years completed the high school course. In 1879 the first class, consisting of four girls, was graduated. The personnel of this class was as follows: Anna L. Campbell, Kate DeYarmon, Laura Critchfield, and Minnie Switzer.

In 1884 a brick building, which is still in use for the grades, was erected. Then the high school course was extended to three years. In 1905 a charter was obtained from the State Department of Education, classifying the school as a first grade high school, and extending the course to four years. During these years the teaching staff was very limited. Since that time the school has grown by leaps and bounds and in 1925 it was necessary to erect a new high school building. This building was a modern school plant. It included a gymnasium, an auditorium, locker and shower rooms, and other equipment necessary for an efficient school.

In 1913 a well equipped commercial department was put into operation. A year later, Charles F. Kettering, an alumnus, donated equipment for a chemical and physical laboratory, which with the additions he has since made, provides laboratory facilities of the highest type. In 1922 a sewing department under the direction of Mrs. Martha S. Whitney was established. This department has been extended until it now provides a well-rounded department of Home economics.

The high school now has an enrollment of 200, while the grade school, housed in the older building, has an enrollment of 310. There are 11 teachers in the high school and eight in the elementary grades.

The following have been superintendents of the Loudonville schools: J. R. Hissem, 1877-1880; David Torbet, 1880-1882; E. D. Wigton, 1882-1886; J. R. Hissem, 1886-1888; R. P. Baughman, 1888-1890; J. C. Maurer, 1890-1893; J. W. Scott, 1893-1898; G. H. Booth, 1898-1900; C. E. Budd, 1900-1929; and R. F. McMullen, 1929.

The principals of Loudonville High School have been the following: Lucian Rust, F. N. Patterson, J. W. Scott, C. E. Budd, C. H. Williams, C. E. Kiplinger, F. E. Honnold, G. Y. Warner, L. R. Drown, Lynne Ravenaugh, O. C. Irvin, W. E. Heichel, and Anna Rollins, assistant principal, 1907-1918.

From:
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1931


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
North Central Ohio Biographies

Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

Ohio
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012