Stephen A. Losh. Honored, respected and esteemed in Loudonville, Stephen A. Losh, deceased, was one of the city's
most prominent men. He was born on a farm in Knox County, seven miles south of Loudonville, Dec. 18, 1858, the
son of Joseph and Fannie Losh.
Joseph and Fannie Losh were natives of Germany and prominent pioneers of Knox County. Stephen A., the subject of
this sketch, was the youngest of nine children. At the age of 18 years he left his father's farm and came to Loudonville,
where he began his career as a clerk in the store of Norrick & Krause. Six years later he engaged in business
for himself, opening a small dry goods and notion store in April, 1882. He broke away from the old business methods,
and by widespread advertising, something almost unknowii in those days, the business grew until the Losh store
was known far and wide as a store where customers received good value for their money. Mr. Losh was thus engaged
successfully in business in Loudonville for 38 years, and in 1920, at the time of his retirement, turned the business
over to his two sons, Arthur F. and C. Edwin Losh, and Floyd K. Kopp, the business thereafter being known as S.
A. Losh Sons & Kopp. Mr. Losh died June 14, 1925, and is buried in Loudonville.
Mr. Losh married Miss Margaret A. Wire, of Crestline, Ohio, the daughter of Philip and Elizabeth (Wyble) Wire,
natives of Pennsylvania, both now deceased. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Losh: Arthur F., and C. Edwin, sketches
of whom appear elsewhere in this history.
The life and interests of Mr. Losh were most deeply rooted in the community in which he lived, and he was one of
its most progressive citizens. Any movement in the way of progress always appealed to him. He was a member of the
Chamber of Commerce, and for a number of years was its president. He was actively identified with the Farmers Bank,
of which he was a director. He served on the city council, board of education, and board of public affairs, and
during the World War took an active part in all loan and Red Cross drives.
Mr. Losh was a member of the Loudonville Presbyterian Church, and belonged to the Knights of Pythias.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium