George L. Kunkel. One of the progressive and well known farmers of Ashland County is George L. Kurikel, who
is the owner of a fine dairy farm of 123 acres just east of Ashland. He was born in this county, June 9, 1873,
the son of Christian and Margaret (Jackson) Kunkel.
Christian Kunkel, a native of Knox County, became a prosperous merchant of Ashland, where he engaged in business
for many years. He was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Stalter) Kunkel, who were natives of Lancaster County,
Pa. Christian Kunkel attended the district schools and remained on the farm until he was 18 years of age. He then
came to Ashland where he was identified with the dry goods business of Brubaker Brothers. After a year he became
associated with the firm, and they purchased the business of M. B. Parmeley, the firm being known as Brubaker &
Kunkel. Subsequently I. H. Good entered the partnership and later L. J. Miller purchased the interest of the Brubakers,
the firm thereafter being known as Kunkel, Good & Miller. After six years Mr. Miller retired and until 1902
the partnership of Kunkel & Good continued, when Mr. Kunkel sold his interest. He died in Ashland in 1927.
His widow died in 1917. Both are buried in Ashland. Mr. Kunkel was known as a substantial, progressive and public
spirited resident of the city. He was a Democrat in politics and served for a number of years as a member of the
city council. He was an active member of the Methodist Church. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Kunkel:
Frank W., who lives in Ashland; Blanche, who died in 1922, was the wife of Thomas Harkness; George L., the subject
of this sketch; and Carrie, married William Wiley, lives at Ashland.
George L. Kunkel is a graduate of the Ashland public schools and attended Oberlin Business College. For a period
of seven years he was identified with his father's business interests in Ashland and in 1920 purchased his present
farm near Ashland. He specializes in dairy farming and is the owner of 36 head of cattle. Mr. Kunkel is also interested
in fine horses, and during 1929 one of his horses, "Kunkel," won the Director of Agriculture Trophy and
first money in the 220 Race. With his brother, Frank Kunkel, he is also well known as a breeder of fox and coon
hounds, hundreds of their dogs having been sold throughout the United States.
In 1896 Mr. Kunkel was united in marriage with Miss Millie Hess, of Ashland the daughter of Martin and Jane (Goard)
Hess. Mr. Hess died in Ashland in 1925 and his widow resides in this city. Mr. and Mrs. Kunkel's only child, Gerald
C. was born in Ashland in 1897. He married Grace Fearier, of Ashland. During the World War he enlisted for service
and went to France as a member of Company E, 421st Telegraph Brigade. He was discharged from the service May 17,
Mr. Kunkel is a Democrat.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium