John J. Kinney, M. D. Numbered among the successful members of the medical profession in North Central Ohio
is Doctor John J. Kinney, who is president of the Kinney & Knestrick Hospital, of Wooster. He has been recognized
as one of the leading surgeons of Wayne County for almost 40 years, and was one of the founders of the hospital
which bears his name in 1903. Doctor Kinney was born in Ashland County, March 25, 1865, the son of Job and Susanna
Job Kinney was born in Mohican Township, Ashland County, in 1835. He spent his entire life in that township and
became a prosperous farmer. He was living retired at Hayesville at the time of his death in 1926. His wife, born
in Mohican Township in 1844, died in 1900. They were the parents of nine children, of whom John J., the subject
of this sketch was the oldest. Another son, William, is well known in Wooster as a veterinary surgeon.
The boyhood of John J. Kinney was spent in Mohican Township and he attended the district schools. He is a graduate
of Smithville Academy and spent two years in the offices of Dr. J. W. Lehr, of Cedar Valley, Ohio. He then went
to Cleveland and studied medicine in the offices of Weed, Crile & Bunts. Later he entered the medical school
of Wooster College, from which he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1899. Doctor Kinney was then associated
in practice with Dr. A. C. Knestrick at Creston, Ohio, until 1893, when he located in Wooster. Doctor Kinney has
taken graduate work in medicine and surgery in London, Berlin, and Vienna, having spent 1912 and 1913 in study.
The Kinney and Knestrick Hospital was founded in Wooster in 1903. Its original location was 243 East Liberty Street,
now the offices of Drs. Kinney and Knestrick. The new hospital was built in 1916 and is located at 125 South Bever
Street. Doctor Kinney is president, with Dr. R. C. Paul, of Wooster as vice president, and Dr. Lyman A. Adair,
secretary and treasurer. The Board of Directors is composed of the following: Dr. A. C. Smith; Dr. George C. Essick,
of Congress, Ohio; Dr. F. C. Ganyard, of Pittsburgh, Pa.; N. C. Mayer, of Apple Creek, Ohio; Dr. Eva G. Cutright,
of Wooster; and Dr. S. C. Boor, of Creston. Miss Mary C. Zarlengo has served as superintendent of the hospital
since 1922, with Miss Catherine Collins as bookkeeper.
In 1889 Doctor Kinney was united in marriage with Miss Anna B. Wa!ton, of Wooster, the daughter of Hiram and Mary
Walton, both deceased. To Doctor and Mrs. Kinney have been born three children: Gail M., married Dr. A. C. Smith,
lives at Wooster; Walton John, lives at Bunnell, Florida; and Arden B., lives at Wooster. He married Miss Dorothy
Keiser, of Wooster.
Politically Doctor Kinney is a Democrat. He belongs to the fraternal Order of Eagles and Kiwanis Club, and is identified
with the Wayne County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium