Jeromesville Public Schools. The first school building in Jeromesville was located on a lot that now comprises
a part of the village cemetery. Upon the abandonment of that location, a two story frame building was erected near
the site of the Winbigler Furniture Store. On April 24, 1889, this building was completely destroyed by fire. It
was replaced by a two-room brick structure.
When the new building was opened for school in 1890, the school was graded and a third grade High School Charter
was obtained, under the efficient leadership of Supt. E. B. Kiefer, who is still a resident of Jeromesyule. The
first graduates received their diplomas at his hands, and he remained as superintendent until 1905. He was succeeded
by the following named superintendents, in the order given: Hugh Smith, one year; William H. Steele, five years;
John M. Wolf, five years; Cloyce Landis, one year; Earl F. Martin, five years; Albert E. Black, one year; Edgar
Clippinger, six years; and Harold H. Gieger, the present superintendent, who is serving his third year.
In 1910, during the first year of Mr. Wolf's superintendency, an east wing was built to the school building, and
interior changes were made. In 1917, during the tenure of Superintendent Martin, a consolidation of the original
Jeromesville school district, together with all bordering districts, or in some cases portions of districts, was
effected, thus establishing eight school routes.
In 1919 a first grade high school charter was obtained by Superintendent Martin. The autumn of 1927 witnessed the
completion of the present up-to-date, commodious, well equipped educational center, the realization of the dreams,
plans and incessant labors of Superintendent Clippinger. Departmental work in the seventh and eighth grades was
established in 1928, with Superintendent Gieger at the head.
The school is truly a community center, being used for many activities, whether they be of a social or instructive
nature. Superintendent Gieger has been instrumental in placing a Parent-Teacher Association on what appears to
be a permanent basis. High class Lyceum courses are also sponsored each year by the school.
The present faculty is composed of ten teachers, whose motto is: "Nothing short of the best is good enough
The above history of the Jeromesvjlle schools was written by Myrtle Ebert, of Jerornesviile.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium