Edward W. Howell, who is identified with the Northern Ohio Telephone Company as manager of the Norwalk district,
is a representative young business man of Huron County and a veteran of the World War. He was born at Columbiana,
Ohio, Oct. 11, 1891, the son of Joseph and Rosa (Snyder) Howell.
Joseph Howell is a native of Ohio, born at Washingtonville. He is a graduate of Mt. Union College and now lives
retired at Salem, Ohio. For a number of years Mr. Howell had the contract for carrying government mail between
Columbiana and Youngstown, Ohio. He later became well known as a paving contractor. He is a Democrat and held the
office of street commissioner of Columbiana for a number of years. His wife was born at Columbiana. They are members
of the Grace Reformed Church, of Salem. To Mr. and Mrs. Howell were born five children: 1. Edward W., the subject
of this sketch. 2. Carl, a World War veteran, having served in France. 3. Robert. 4. Lena, married R. J. Taylor.
5. Ellen, married Ralph Ball. All except Edward W. are residents of Salem.
Edward W. Howell received his education in the public schools of Columbiana and Salem. After his graduation from
Salem High School he entered the employ of the Salem Hardware Company. His next position was as manager of the
substation of the Youngstown Ohio River Railway Company. He was serving as supervising foreman of the Central District
and Printing Telephone Company, of Salem, Ohio, in 1914, when he resigned to become construction foreman for the
Ohio State Telephone Company at Youngstown. In 1916 he was appointed inspector of toll lines for the Ohio State
Telephone Company at Columbus, but the following year resigned to enlist for service in the World War. He enlisted
in the U. S. Signal Corps and was assigned to the 23rd Field Signal Battalion, and sent to Camp Gordon, Georgia.
He was later transferred to the 307th Field Signal Battalion and served in France with this outfit. He participated
in the St. Mihiel and Meuse Argonne offensive, and was discharged from the service June 15, 1919, with the rank
of Master Signal Electrician. Mr. Howell then went to Toledo, Ohio, for the Central Union Telephone Company as
an inspector in their engineering department. He later was supervising foreman of the Ohio State Telephone Company
at Toledo, and from there went to Columbus as inspector in the engineering department for the Ohio Bell Telephone
Company. Mr. Howell's next position was as assistant engineer with A. S. Hillhouse, consulting engineers, Columbus,
and he also was assistant engineer with the Gustav Hirsch Organization in Columbus. He came to Norwalk in March,
1927, as plant engineer and assistant construction engineer for the Northern Ohio Telephone Company and was promoted
to his present position as manager of the Norwalk district in October, 1928.
Mr. Howell is a Republican. He is affiliated with B. P. O. Elks, No. 730; 40 and 8 Society; American Legion, Past
Commander of Ken-Bur-Bell Post, No. 41; and belongs to the Catawba Cliff Beach Club.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium