J. M. Heyde, M. D., of Loudonville, is outstanding as one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Ashland
County, and is a veteran of the World War. He was born in Holmes County, Ohio, Sept. 1, 1878, the son of John H.
and Rachel (Parsons) Heyde.
The Heyde family is of French origin, having come to the United States from Alsace-Lorraine. The great grandfather
of J. M. Heyde, Jacob Henry Heyde, served for a period of five years with Napoleon, and was with him at the Battle
John H. Heyde is a native of Holmes County, and was a prominent resident of that section for many years. He served
as a member of the General Assembly from 1894 until 1898, and has been a lifelong Democrat. Until his recent retirement
he was numbered among the most prosperous farmers of Holmes County. He is now a resident of Ashland County. Mr.
and Mrs. Heyde are the parents of four sons: J. M., the subject of this sketch; Charles F., farmer, lives in Ashland
County; Rev. Amos L., lives at Logan, Ohio; and John H. Jr., lives at Shelby, Ohio.
J. M. Heyde spent his boyhood on his father's farm in Knox Township, Holmes County, and attended the rural schools.
He spent two years at Ohio State University, after which he entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He
received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1900, spent the following six years in practice at Walnut Creek, Holmes
County, and was located for one year at Lucas, Richland County. He then established offices in Loudonville in 1911,
where he has met with marked success as a physician and surgeon. Doctor Heyde has taken graduate work in medicine
at the Illinois Post Graduate School, Chicago, and in 1930 spent four months studying in clinics throughout Germany,
Austria, Italy, and France. He is former president of the Ashland County Medical Society, and an active member
of the Ohio State Medical Society, and American Medical Association. He is also a member of the staff of Samaritan
In July, 1917, Doctor Heyde enlisted for service in the World War and received the commission of first lieutenant,
U. S. Medical Corps, being attached to the 33rd Ambulance Unit at Camp Taylor, Ky. Early in 1918 he was promoted
to the rank of captain and served as medical officer of Ambulance Company Nos. 351 and 53. He was discharged from
the service in March, 1919, and resumed his practice in Loudonville.
In 1901 Doctor Heyde was united in marriage with Miss Jeanette Smith, of Loudonville, the daughter of Jacob and
Emma (Long) Smith, who were born in Lake Township, Ashland County. The former died in 1917 and the latter lives
in Loudonville. Doctor and Mrs. Heyde have a son, Edward C., born in 1911. He is a graduate of Loudonville High
School, class of 1928, and now attends Wooster College, where he is preparing himself for the study of medicine.
Doctor Heyde is affiliated with Loudonville Lodge, F. & A. M., 32nd degree, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Rotary Club. He has been president of the Loudonville school board since
1928, and a member of the board since 1927.
Doctor Heyde is particularly interested in the history of Loudonville and Ashland County, and was the author of
the centennial history of the city of Loudonville, published in 1914.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium