F. E. Harris, who for more than half a century has been identified with the interests of the F. E. Myers &
Bro. Company, is a representative citizen of Ashland. He was born on a farm in Perry Township, Ashland County,
Jan. 28, 1859, the son of Joseph W. and Margaret J. (Strayer) Harris.
Joseph W. Harris was born in Perry Township, Ashland County, in 1825, the son of James Harris, who was of Scotch
Irish descent and a native of Virginia. He was among the first settlers of Ashland County, and his son, Joseph
W., was a carpenter and farmer. The later died in 1870. He was a Republican. His wife was a member of the Lutheran
Church. She died in 1905. Both are buried at Rowsburg, Ohio. Their children were: Harriet, deceased; J. A., who
died in 1910; F. E., the subject of this sketch; Margery, who died in February, 1930, was the wife of Thomas Fortney;
and Joseph W., a retired farmer, lives at Ashland.
F. E. Harris attended the district schools of Perry Township, and in 1876 went to Oberlin, Ohio, where he studied
at the Kline and Howland Business College. He then spent two years at Rowsburg in the employ of Frank Porter, general
merchant, and in 1880 became a salesman for the Peerless Reaper Company, of Canton, Ohio, as agent in Ashland County.
The following year F. E. Myers & Bro. Company took over the agency for this machine, and Mr. Harris entered
the company's employ as a general utility man at the salary of $40 per month. At that time F. E. Myers & Bro.
Company were selling plows and general farm implements, and in 1882 when they became interested in the manufacture
of pumps, Mr. Harris was put in charge of the business in the territory outside of Ashland. He later traveled throughout
the United States as a representative of the company, and as the business developed it was necessary to establish
a wholesale department, of which Mr. Harris has charge. His territory extends throughout the United States, Canada,
and Mexico. Mr. Harris has the distinction of having sold the first pump manufactured by the company, and he is
the oldest employe in point of continuous service with the company. Since Aug. 1, 1929, Mr. Harris has made only
special trips for the company, although he still maintains charge of the wholesale department.
In 1881 Mr. Harris married Miss Mary E. Ecker, of Rowsburg, the daughter of Jacob and Ann (Brandt) Ecker, natives
of Ohio, both deceased. They were the parents of two sons: Don C., born in 1882, met with an accidental death at
the age of ten years; and Harry D., born in 1884, died at the age of four years.
Mr. Harris is a Republican and belongs to the Colonial Club and Ashland Country Club. Mrs. Harris is a member of
the Methodist Church.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium