Biography of the Greeg Brothers
North Central Ohio Biographies





William Lloyd and Roscoe C. Gregg. Outstanding among the prominent business men of Knox County are the Gregg brothers, who are identified with the Gregg Manufacturing Company, of Fredericktown, as president and vice president respectively. They are the sons of William Lincoln and Mary Ellen (Lukens) Gregg.

William Lincoln Gregg, who lives retired at Fredericktown, was born in Ohio but spent his early life in Michigan, and his wife was born in Middlebury Township, Knox County. Until his retirement Mr. Gregg was widely known as a successful farmer.

William Lloyd Gregg was born at Green Valley, Wayne Township, Knox County, Dec. 28, 1890. He attended the district school and was a graduate of Fredericktown High School and Oberlin Business College. He married Miss Daisy S. Struble, in 1915. She is the daughter of Frank B. and Jennie (McGaughy) Struble, both deceased. Mrs. Gregg was born at Chesterville, Ohio. To Mr. and Mrs. Gregg have been born two sons: Robert, born in 1923; and Charles, born in 1926.

Roscoe C. Gregg was born at Green Valley, Feb. 28, 1895. He was educated at Fredericktown and attended Spencerian Business College in Cleveland. Prior to 1920 he was interested in general farming with his brother, William Lloyd, and since that date has been identified with the Gregg Manufacturing Company as vice president.

The Gregg Manufacturing Company was organized in 1920, and originally specialized in the manufacture of automatic self feeders for hogs. The company also were successful manufacturers of farm gates. The business was incorporated in 1923 as the Gregg Manufacturing Company, with W. Lloyd Gregg as president, Roscoe C. Gregg, vice president, and P. J. Cummings, as secretary treasurer. During 1924-25 the firm became interested in the manufacture of automobile accessories and glass enclosures for open cars. These parts, fitted with wooden frames, were called "Comfy Panels," and sold extensively to industrial concerns as well as pleasure car builders. The Proctor & Gamble Company, Swift & Co., Armour & Co., and the American Tobacco Co., were numbered among the company's largest customers. The advent of the closed car in 1926 brought to a sudden end the demand for this type of automobile accessory, and at this time the Gregg Manufacturing Company turned to other interests. It became extensive manufacturers of lamps, lamp shades, and lamp stands, making a specialty of designs in wrought iron. Itoscoe C. Gregg became a specialist in wrought iron craft, and through his ability in this direction the company became originators and producers of artistic home furnishings, which have since been sold in large contracts to John Wannamaker, Marshall Field, Carson, Pine & Scott, Hartman, and other large mercantile establishments. They have become specialists in fire screens, andirons, ornamental lighting fixtures, smoking stands, screens, etc. During 1927 a total of 90,000 lamps of one design alone were sold by the company. This model, known as No. 10, adjustable bridge lamp, received national recognition as a distinctive work of art.

The Gregg Manufacturing Company maintains a permanent display in all the large cities in United States, with agents throughout United States and Canada.

From:
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1931


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
North Central Ohio Biographies

Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

Ohio
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012