The A. L. Garber Company, Ashland, Ohio. A. L. Garber entered the printing business in Bellville, Richland County,
in about 1879. A few years later he moved his plant to Ashland and began the publishing of the Brethren Evangelist,
which is now published by the Brethren Publishing Company of Ashland.
Re then published, for a few years, the Ashland Sun, as a weekly newspaper, which was continued for a few years
when, with the growth of manufacturing in this territory, he became interested in commercial printing.
In 1907 his son, O. M. Garber, became interested in the business, having graduated from Ashland High School. A
steady gradual growth of the business has been maintained for the past years.
The business was carried on for years as a partnership under the name of Garber Publishing Company. In 1929 it
was incorporated as The A. L. Garber Company, and is now operated as a corporation with the following officers:
President, O. M. Garber; vice president, C. F. Cram; secretary, B. F. Zercher, Jr.; and treasurer, E. A. Garber.
These officers, together with L. L. Burns, form the board of directors.
Until the last few years, little thought was given to expansion beyond the immediate vicinity, nor to any selling
effort, but the company prospered with the growth of local manufacturers, most of whom have depended on us for
their printing ever since their business started. They have equipped to keep pace with the great development of
industry in this section, and have grown with it.
The result was, a decade ago a plant with splendid facilities and unique advantages, which attracted orders from
a broader territory. A few years ago a sales service department was organized, C. F. Craim to handle the contact
with this widening field, a department whose aim it was to serve you and to work for the interests of your business,
as well as of our own.
Since then the business has grown rapidly, until today the equipment, facilities and volume are equalled by but
few printing plants.
The employees are very largely trained in the business, most of them being local peeople. The present force consists
of approximately two hundred employees, many of whom have been with the company for years.
The main plant on Orange Street at the Erie Railroad is especially constructed for use as a printing plant. It
is equipped with the latest and best machinery to do everything in connection with the economical production of
high-grade catalogues and color printing. In it complete clothbound books are made, starting with the making of
the type clear through to the gold on the outside of the cover. The plant is equipped with elevators, sprinkling
system, and is well lighted and ventilated. Over thirty presses are used, some of which are the largest made for
high-grade commercial printing.
In 1929 it became necessary to equip a separate factory for the paper box manufacturing end of the business. The
old building of the Reliable Match Company, one block distant from the main plant, was purchased, refinished and
rebuilt and equipped with the latest machinery for the manufacture of folding cartons, set-up paper boxes, advertising
cutouts, displays, etc. This plant, ideally located, is equipped to handle a large tonnage of materials at small
cost, a very essential item in the manufacture of paper boxes.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium