Philip H. Fulstow, who is identified with the firm of Woodward & Fulstow. flour, feed, coal and seed dealers,
is well and favorably known in Norwalk and is a veteran of the World War. He was born on a farm near Willard, Huron
County, April 29, 1890, the son of Dr. Harry and Lina Lee (Frayer) Fulstow.
Dr. Harry Fulstow was born in Aukborough, Lincolnshire, England, March 11, 1861, the son of John Dickerson and
Sarah (Hutson) Fuistow. The family came to the United States in 1881 and settled at Greenwich, Ohio, where John
D. Fuistow became a prosperous farmer. His son, Harry, was graduated from the Ontario Veterinary College in Toronto,
Canada, with the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, and since 1892 has engaged in the practice of his profession
in Norwalk. He is a Republican and has served as a member of the city board of health for the past 35 years. He
is affiliated with Mt. Vernon Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 64; Huron Chapter, R. A. M., No. 7; Norwalk Council, R.
& S. M. M., No. 24; and Norwalk Commandery, K. T., No. 18. Doctor Fulstow has always been interested in hunting
and during 1900-01-02 won the annual fox hunt at the Orrville hunting club. To Doctor and Mrs. Fulstow were born
two children: Philip H., the subject of this sketch; and Dr. Marjorie, physician, lives at Boston, Mass.
The early education of Philip H. Fulstow was received in the public schools of Norwalk, from which he was graduated
in 1908. He received the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in 1911, and
immediately established a private practice in Norwalk. During the World War he enlisted for service and was sent
to Fort Royal, Va., later being located at Sparta, Wis., at Plattsburg, N. Y., and Camp Logan, Texas. He was attached
to the Veterinary Corps, and was discharged with the rank of captain in March, 1919. He then resumed his practice
in Norwalk until 1924, and has since been identified with the firm of Woodward & Fulstow, widely known dealers
in flour, feed, coal and seeds. The company owns four elevators, its store being located at East Seminary and Linwood
In 1917 Mr. Fulstow married Miss A. Helene Gardiner, the daughter of Edmond G. Gardiner, a sketch of whom appears
elsewhere in this history. They have two children: Philip Gardiner and Marjorie Anne.
Mr. Fukstow is a Republican, a member of the Episcopal Church, and belongs to B. P. O, Elks, No. 7S0; Mt. Vernon
Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 64; Huron Chapter, R. A. M., No. 7; Norwalk Council, R. & S. M. M., No. 24; Norwalk
Commandery, K. T., No. 18; and Alpha Psi fraternity. He also belongs to the 40 and 8 Society, and is past commander
of Ken-Bur-Bell Post No. 41, American Legion. He is a former treasurer of the Kiwanis Club of Norwalk, and belongs
to the Norwalk Business Men's Association.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium