Gaillard B. Fuller, M. D., of Loudonville, is recognized as one of the leading members of the medical profession
in Ashland County, and is a member of a family that has long been prominently identified with the practice of medicine
in Loudonville. He was born here, March 25, 1877, the son of Dr. Amos B. and Mary E. (Stewart) Fuller.
Dr. Amos B. Fuller was born in Loudonville, July 23, 1842, the son of Dr. Ephriam B. Fuller, who was born in New
York, July 8, 1799. The latter located in Loudonville in 1831, and thus engaged in the practice of medicine in
this city a century ago, having received his medical education under the preceptorship of Doctor Parkis, in Tioga
County, Pa. He was recognized as the leading medical practitioner of the community until his death in 1867. He
married Miss Sarah Culver, a native of Elkland, Pa. Both were member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his
practical christianity found expression in the aid which he gave to many who needed professional assistance but
were unable to pay the customary charges. He was a Democrat and was greatly opposed to the fugitive slave law.
As early as 1856 fugitive slaves were brought to his home, fed and sheltered by him, and assisted on their way.
He was the father of the following children: 1. Catherine, who married (first) Gilbert Pell, and (second) Calvin
Hibbard. 2. Hannah, who married Samuel B. Smith. 3. Susan, who married J. W. Hildebrand. 4. Laverna, who married
Y. C. Case. 5. Sarah M., who married Dr. A. J. Scott. 6. Elizabeth, who married J. W. Stacker. 7. Christina, who
was the second wife of Dr. A. J. Scott. 8. Amasa Culver. 9. Amos B., father of the subject of this sketch. 10.
Dr. Amos B. Fuller spent his entire life in Loudonville and practiced medicine here for 35 years. He was associated
with his father, and at the outbreak of the Civil War received a commission as a surgeon with the 120th Ohio Volunteer
Infantry. Upon his return from the service he resumed his studies at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from
which he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1867. During 1872 he took post graduate work at Bellevue
Medical College, New York City. Doctor Fuller was married in 1868 to Miss Mary E. Stewart, who was born at Loudonville,
Aug. 23, 1842. Their children were: 1. Mary M., married Francis L. Niederheiser, of Bucyrus, Ohio. 2. Grace 3.
3. Dr. Gaillard B., the subject of this sketch. 4. Stewart E., who died at the age of two years. Dr. A. B. Fuller
was associated in practice for a number of years with Dr. William H. Wirt. He held membership in the Methodist
Church, and his wife was one of the 17 original members of the Presbyterian Church of Loudonville. Doctor Fuller
died at Pomona, Calif., April 8, 1899, and his wife died in Loudonville, 1891. Both are buried in Loudonville.
Gaillard B. Fuller attended the public schools of Loudonville and was graduated from high school in 1895. He spent
two years at Ohio Wesleyan University and two years at Wooster College. He then took an extended trip to California
with his father on account of the latter's failing health, and upon the death of his father in 1899, he returned
to Loudonville. In 1900 he entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and after his graduation in 1904, he
spent a year as resident physician in the Easton City Hospital, Easton, Pa. Upon his return to Loudonville he engaged
in practice with his father's former associate, Dr. Wirt, just 35 years after the original partnership had been
established. Since the death of Dr. Wirt, Dr. Fuller has practiced alone. He has served for ten years as Ashland
County's health commissioner, and for 17 years was a member of the Loudonville School Board. He is identified with
the Ohio State Medical Society, and American Medical Association, and is treasurer of the Ashland County Medical
On Dec. 27, 1905, Doctor Fuller was united in marriage with Miss Helen Barbara Stitzel, of Loudonville, the daughter
of Jacob J. Stitzel. They have two Sons: 1. Carl S. B., born Jan. 29, 1908. He is a graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University,
class of 1929, and was awarded the John D. Simpson Fellowship at New York University, where he specialized in business
administration. He is now assistant buyer in the Bramberger Department Store, Newark, N. J. 2. Jacob Stewart, born
March 28, 1916, attends Loudonville High School.
Doctor Fuller is a member of the Lutheran Church and is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge. He served as first president
of the Rotary Club of Loudonville, of which he is a charter member.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium