Fred T. Flinn, who is identified with the F. & M. Pharmacy, 60 East Main Street, Ashland, is numbered among
the dependable business men of the city. He was born at Utica, N. Y., Aug. 17, 1876, the son of William and Sarah
E. (Tallman) Flinn.
William Flinn was a native of Penn Yan, N. Y., and his wife was born at Utica. He spent his early life at Coldwater,
Mich., and received his education in the public schools. He was a cigar maker and spent a number of years at Utica,
N. Y., as the owner of a cigar factory. He remained in that city until 1879 when he came to Ashland and engaged
in the manufacture of cigars until 1913. He then served as deputy internal revenue collector until the time of
his death in 1920. His wife died in 1926. Both are buried in Ashland. Politically, Mr. Flinn was a Democrat. He
took an active interest in local politics and also served as central committeeman for a number of years. There
were three children in the Flinn family: Fred T., the subject of this sketch; Harry A., lives at Berea, Ohio; and
Harriet, married J. B. Mowiser, a registered pharmacist, who is associated with the F. & M. Pharmacy.
Fred T. Flinn attended the public schools of Ashland and at the age of 17 years was appointed assistant postmaster
under P. H. Murphy, and served in that capacity from May, 1894, until June, 1898. He was then connected with the
Ashland Grocery Company until February, 1902, at which time he engaged in business for himself as the proprietor
of a cigar store. Mr. Flinn continued in this enterprise until 1925, when he sold his business and retired. He
traveled extensively until February, 1927, and in that year formed a partnership with J. B. Mowiser, as proprietors
of the F. & M. Pharmacy, having purchased the Siegley Pharmacy.
In September, 1900, Mr. Flinn married Miss Jennie McPherson, of Huron County, the daughter of George and Emma (Willoughby)
McPherson. Mr. McPherson died in April, 1929, and his widow lives at Steuben, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Flinn have a daughter,
Helen S., born Nov. 7, 1902. She is a graduate of Ashland High School, the University of Rochester, and of Mechanics
Institute, also of Rochester, N. Y., class of 1924. She spent four years in charge of Home Economics department
at Wadsworth High School, and is now a member of the faculty of Alexander Hamilton, Jr., High School, Cleveland.
Mr. Flinn is a Democrat in politics and for a number of years has been chairman of the board of County Central
Committee and Executive Committee. He has also been a member and clerk of the board of elections since 1916 and
has been president of the board. He was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention at St. Louis, Mo., in
Mr. and Mrs. Flinn are members of the Presbyterian Church and he belongs to the Rotary Club and Maccabees.
Mr. Flinn has been secretary of the Ashland Volunteer Fire Department for a number of years, and is identified
with the state organization, of which he served as president one term. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and
the Ashland Chapter, R. A. M., No. 67. He was a member of the board of directors of the old Commercial Club of
Ashland for a number of years, and is an active member of the present Chamber of Commerce, serving at present as
a member of the retail merchants board.
In 1920 he organized the Jefferson, Jackson and Wilson Democratic Club, of which he served as its first president
and since its organization he has served in some official capacity.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium