William R. Flaherty, optometrist, with offices at 21 East Main Street, is a representative citizen of Ashland,
and a veteran of the World War. He was born in this city, March 26, 1893, the son of Edward S. and Luella (Sprinkle)
Edward S. Flaherty is a widely known citizen of Mansfield, where he is owner and manager of the Adelphia Hotel.
He was born in Ashland, but spent his early life at St. Joseph, Mo., where he was educated. As a young man he returned
to Ashland where he was identified with the Miller House and the McNally Hotel. In 1898 he purchased the Park Hotel
in Ashland, which he successfully operated for five years, afterward becoming proprietor of the Arlington Hotel.
The latter was sold to New York interests and Mr. Flaherty removed to Mansfield, where he owned and operated the
T. & A. Hotel for a period of 20 years. Since 1927 he has been manager of the Adeiphia Hotel. Mr. Flaherty
is a Democrat, a member of the Catholic Church, and belongs to the Knights of Columbus. His wife was born at Congress,
Ohio. They have only one child, William R., the subject of this sketch.
William R. Flaherty lived in Ashland until he was 13 years of age and received his early education here. He was
graduated from Mansfield High School in 1913, and afterward attended Mansfield Business College. He then studied
at the Northern Illinois College of Ophthalmology and Otology, Chicago, from which he received the degree of Doctor
of Optics in 1917. He was located at Springfield, Ohio, until July, 1917, at which time he enlisted for service
in the World War. He enlisted in the U. S. Navy and was sent to the Great Lakes Training Station in Chicago. Later
he was attached to Pittsburgh Hospital, Unit No. 1, and in April, 1918, became a first class quartermaster instructor
in aviation. He was discharged from the service, Jan. 5, 1919, and resumed his professional work in the offices
of Dr. Russell O. Hayes, optometrist, Cleveland. He has been located in Ashland since 1924 and in October, 1929,
removed to his present location, 21 East Main Street.
Mr. Flaherty was married in 1920 at Mansfield to Miss Ruth Marie Vonderhide, of Waukegan, Ill., the daughter of
Henry and Minnie (Schwarn) Vonderhide. The former, a native of Germany, died in February, 1930, and is buried at
Waukegan, the latter is a native of that city. To Doctor and Mrs. Flaherty have been born two children: Norma Jane,
born Oct. 4, 1921; and Douglass William, born July 29, 1926.
Dr. Flaherty is a Democrat, a member of B. P. O. Elks, Ashland Country Club, and Ashland Chamber of Commerce. He
also belongs to the American Legion, and 40 and 8 Society. He is vice president of the Lions Club. His wife is
a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Patrick K. Flaherty and Adam Sprinkle, grandparents of Doctor Flaherty, served throughout the Civil War.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium