Nathan S. Everhard, M. D. Among the outstanding professional men of Medina County for many years was Doctor
Everhard, who died at Mt. Sinai Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, April 2, 1919, at the age of 78 years. He was born in
Chippewa Township, Wayne County, Ohio, Jan. 8, 1841, the son of John Jacob and Mary Everhard.
Nathan S. Everhard began the study of medicine under his brother, Dr. Aaron Everhard. Later, he continued his course
at the University of Michigan, and graduated from the medical department of Western Reserve University, Cleveland,
in 1867. In June, 1868, he began the practice of medicine in Wadsworth. His skill as a physician and his character
as a man meant untold opportunities to the community in which Doctor Everhard was to devote half a century in the
practice of his profession.
During his long and eventful career in Medina County, Doctor Everhard was vitally interested in movements in the
community, the state, and the nation, looking to the uplift and happiness of humanity. He had a deep and abiding
interest in mankind, especially in the young, and his talks to young men of this county will bear fruit for many
years to come. He was the surgeon in this section for the Erie Railroad Company. Doctor Everhard also served on
the Board of Education for nine years, and was a member of the Union Medical Association of Northeastern Ohio,
Ohio State Medical Society, and American Medical Association. In 1886 Doctor Everhard was offered the chair of
theory and practice in the medical department of Wooster University. He was a member and the chairman of the Medina
County Y. M. C. A. from the time of its organization in 1907. He was also a member of the Board of Directors of
Wittenberg College for 18 years, being elected in 1900. For two years he served as president of the Board.
Doctor Everhard was a lifelong member of the Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, and always showed an active interest
in the affairs of the church. He was elected an elder in April, 1897, and held that office continuously until his
death. As an evidence of his devotion to his church is the beautiful new church now completed, and to whose building
fund Doctor Everhard contributed $75,000.
Doctor Everhard also had numerous business interests throughout his life. He was identified with the Garfield Injector
Company at the date of its organization in 1883, and later served as president of the present Ohio Injector Company.
He also was president of the Ohio Match Company, Ohio Salt Company, Ohio Boxboard Company, and Oco Coal Company.
He was also a director of the Ohio Farmers Insurance Company of LeRoy.
Doctor Everhard was a member of the Union Club of Cleveland.
On Oct. 17, 1867, Doctor Everhard married Miss Ella M. Finley, who was born near Doylestown, Ohio, Oct. 11, 1845,
the daughter of William and Rhoda (Harris) Finley. They were natives of Pennsylvania, and early settlers of Chippewa
Township, Wayne County. Mr. Finley was born in 1798 and his wife was born in 1805. He died in 1866 and she died
in 1868. Both are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth. Dr. and Mrs. Everhard had no children. She was a graduate
of the district schools of Chippewa Township and Mendota (Ill.) College. For several years Mrs. Everhard taught
in the schools of Chippewa Township, and later went to Bethel, Mo., as a teacher.
The following sketch of the Harris family appears as biography concerning the maternal family and ancestors of
Mrs. Everhard: "Stephen Harris, son of John and Mary (Hamilton) Harris, was born at or near Elizabethtown,
N. J., in 1780, emigrated with his parents to Washington County, Pa., about 1787, and married Miss Sibyl Clark
in 1804. She was a native of Morris County, N. J. They had 12 children: Rhoda Harris, born Dec. 1, 1805; John Hamilton
Harris, born Aug. 19, 1807; Lucinda Harris, born Feb. 27, 1809; Amanda Harris, born in 1810; Mary Harris, born
in 1812; Rachel Harris, born Nov. 27, 1814; Nathaniel Mitchell Harris, born in 1816; Demas Lindy Harris, born May
16, 1818; William Franklin, born in 1820, died in infancy; Madison R. Harris, born Feb. 22, 1823; Stephen Ross
Harris, born May 22, 1824; Samuel Clark Harris, born in 1826, died in infancy. After his marriage Stephen Harris
resided in Pennsylvania until August, 1809, and then came to Ohio and settled in Stark County, near the present
city of Massillon. He died in 1862 at the age of 83 years. His wife, Sibyl (Clark) Harris, died in 1854. Both are
buried at Bucyrus, Ohio.
While it is still a matter of doubt whether it was Stephen Harris or his brothers, John and Robert Warden, who
were the first to make a perrnanent settlement on the west side of the river, it is certain that the reducing of
the townships of Lawrence and Tuscarawas to their proper limits, that Mr. Harris was in Lawrence and the Wardens
were in Tuscarawas. It is equally certain that they were all within the territory known as the New Purchase in
1807, which was before the organization of the county."
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium