G. G. Edwards, M. D. One of the leading citizens of Huron County is Doctor Edwards of Willard, who is medical
examiner for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company. He was born at Fredericktown, Knox County, Ohio, Aug. 28,
1883, the son of Lewis B. and Laura (Graham) Edwards.
Lewis B. Edwards is a native of Knox County, and a member of one of the oldest families in that section of Northern
Ohio. A number of years ago he removed to Columbus, Ohio, where he spent several years in the employ of the Adams
Express Company. He is now identified with the administrative offices of the city of Columbus. Mr. Edwards is a
Republican, a member of the Methodist Church, and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His wife, also a native of
Knox County, died in 1923, and is buried at Fredericktown. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards had three sons: G. G., the subject
of this sketch; Mack F., banker, lives at Pittsburgh, Pa.; and Frederick H., lives at Marion, Ind.
Lewis B. Edwards is the son of Dr. William Edwards, who was widely known as a pioneer physician and surgeon of
Fredericktown. He was a graduate of the Medical School of the University of Michigan, and besides his medical profession
was also the founder of the old Fredericktown Free Press, which is still in existence. The first member of the
Edwards family to come to Ohio from Baltimore, Md., was the father of Dr. William Edwards. He came here following
the War of 1812, making the trip overland through the mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia into the Muskingum
Valley and Knox County. He was followed by his four brothers, who also became representative citizens of the county.
G. G. Edwards received his early education in the public schools of Fredericktown and Columbus. He was graduated
from North High School, Columbus, in 1904, and the following year took up the study of engineering at Ohio State
University. He changed his course of study, however, in 1906, and entered the Ohio Medical University, now the
College of Medicine, Ohio State University, from which he was graduated in 1909. He served as an interne in White
Cross Hospital, Columbus, and during 1910-11 was connected with the Ohio Hospital for Epileptics, at Gallipolis,
Ohio. He began the private practice of medicine at Willard in 1912, and since 1916 has served as medical examiner
for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company, having been stationed for a time at Wheeling, W. Va., and Pittsburgh,
Pa. In 1930 Doctor Edwards took graduate work at St. Luke's Hospital, Chicago. He is former president of Willard
Community Hospital, and is identified with the Huron County Medical Society and Ohio State Medical Society.
Doctor Edwards was married in 1912 to Miss Ethelyn Pirsch, of Willard, the daughter of August L. and Alma Pirsch.
Mr. Pirsch, deceased, was a passenger conductor on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad for many years. His widow
lives at Willard. To Doctor and Mrs. Edwards have been born three children: Fred R., attends the University of
Alabama; Jane A., attends Willard High School; and Marilyn Ann.
Doctor Edwards is a Democrat in politics and has served as a member of the board of public affairs. He holds membership
in the United Brethren Church, Kiwanis Club, Choral Society, Willard Civic Club, Alpha Mu Pi Omega, and Theta Nu
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium