Frank B. Downs. Active and progressive in business, Frank B. Downs is numbered among the representative citizens
of Ashland, where he has engaged in the jewelry business for a period of 30 years. He was born in this city, Dec.
31, 1875, the son of Richard G. and Sarah (Latter) Downs.
Richard G. Downs was born in London, England, as was his wife. He now lives in Ashland. His wife died in this city,
Nov. 3, 1898, and is buried in Ashland Cemetery. A complete sketch of Richard G. Downs appears elsewhere in this
history in the biography of his son, Charles H. Downs.
Frank B. Downs received his education in the public schools of Ashland, and for a time was employed by the F. E.
Myers & Bros. Company. Later, he went to LaPorte, Ind., where he learned the watchmaker's trade. He spent some
time in Toronto, Canada, and then returned to Ohio and located at Bellevue. From there he went to Jamesburg, N.
J., and returned to Ashland in 1902, where he established a jewelry business in the Crowell Building. Mr. Downs
removed to the Ames Building in 1907 at 37 West Main Street, and purchased the building three years later. He conducts
one of the city's most attractive shops and has a well established trade.
In 1903 Mr. Downs married Miss Isadore Toomey, of Ashland, the daughter of James and Ella (Bowman) Toomey. Mr.
and Mrs. Toomey reside in Ashland. Mr. and Mrs. Downs have no children.
Mr. Downs is a member of the Christian Church and is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge, 32nd degree. He also belongs
to the Isaac Walton League.
Mr. Downs is a leader in philanthropic work in the city and has always devoted much of his time and means in this
direction. He was one of the founders of Brookside Park in 1919, being identified in this work with Rev. A. B.
Robinson. They were the donors of eight acres of land for this purpose which was later enlarged to 17 acres by
a fund left for that purpose by Miss Bell Osborne, of Ashland. Brookside Park, located on the west side of the
city, is a complete amusement and recreation center. Tennis courts, croquet courts, horseshoe pitching courts,
children's playgrounds, and picnic grounds are among the numerous attractions offered to the public. Band concerts
are also held weekly during the summer months in the park. Mr. Downs was one of the organizers of the municipal
swimming pool, which was built at a cost of $22,000. It is 60 x 150 feet, with a depth ranging from 30 inches to
9 feet 6 inches. The pool is of latest type of construction, built of concrete, and is thoroughly filtered. A small
pool for the children is also operated in connection with the large pool.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium