Roy B. Dickson. One of the recognized leading business men of Mansfield is Roy B. Dixon, who is the proprietor
of the Evergreen Cafeteria. He is also a member of one of the oldest and best known families of Richland County.
Mr. Dickson was born at Mansfield, April 5, 1875, the son of James and Sarah Dickson.
James Dickson was a prominent merchant and banker of Mansfield. He was born in Richland County and in 1848 became
interested in the mercantile business in Mansfield. He established a business at Third and Main streets in 1852,
and in 1872 was the founder of the Mansfield Banking Company, of which he served as president for 28 years. It
was then merged with the present Citizens Bank, and Mr. Dickson continued as a stockholder until his death in 1893.
His wife died in 1913. Both are buried at Mansfield. They were the parents of the following children: Charles,
deceased; William and Edward, live at Mansfield; George, deceased; James, lives at Mansfield; Frances, deceased,
was the wife of J. Andrews; Lillian, lives at Mansfield; and Roy B., the subject of this sketch.
Roy B. Dickson attended the public schools of Mansfield and for a number of years was widely known as the owner
of fine horses. He drove at numerous races throughout Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, and Virginia, and was the owner
of such fine horses as "Ed O'Brien," and "Ruby," whose records were 2:10 1/2" and 2:20",
respectively. Mr. Dickson retired from the racing profession in 1912. He then engaged in farming on 160 acres at
Black Fork, near Mifflin, Ohio, and later returned to Mansfield. For a time he engaged in the automobile business
in Cleveland, but maintained his residence in Mansfield. In 1915 he organized the Dickson Market, which is still
operated by him at Walnut and Third streets. It is an up to date market house with accommodations for 52 merchants.
For a time he was also interested in a bakery business, which he disposed of in 1929. He is financially interested
in the Woodland Allotment, Mansfield, and from 1920 until 1928, successfully operated concessions at Cedar Point,
Ohio. He established a bakery business at Shelby, Ohio, in 1921, which he sold in 1926. Since 1922 Mr. Dickson
has been the owner and manager of Mansfield's first cafeteria, known as the Evergreen, and located at North Walnut
and Third streets. In 1922 he was the founder of the Dickson Dairy Company, which became known as the Axtell Dairy
Products Company two years later, when Mr. Dickson became associated in the business with Mr. Axtell. He is also
the owner of an attractive estate of 400 acres, located between Belleville and Butler, Ohio, known as Wildcat Hollow.
In the summer of 1930 Mr. Dickson built a modern residence on this place. There are 250 acres of fruit on the place.
The family's summer home is located at Cedar Point.
In 1901 Mr. Dickson married Miss Grace Florence Lime, daughter of Solon and Emma Lime, natives of Indiana. Both
are deceased and are buried at Mansfield. Mr. and Mrs. Dickson have no children but they reared and educated a
girl, Ruth Munnell. She is now the wife of James Brownscomb.
Mr. Dickson is a Republican, a member of Richland County Farm Bureau, and B. P. O. Elks, No. 56.
Mr. Dickson recently purchased two fine horses. They are "Signal Spring," 2:08 1/4", and "Irene
Guy," a colt.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium