Lieut. Col. Ammon B. Critchfield. One of the most prominent and colorful figures in military circles in North
Central Ohio is Lieut. Col. Critchfield, who lives retired at Shreve in Wayne County. He was born in Ripley Township,
Holmes County, Aug. 23, 1863, the son of W. P. and Lavina (Ross) Critchfield.
W. P. Critchfield, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War. He was born on the Critchfieid homestead, Ripley Township.
John Critchfield, great grandfather of Ammon P., served throughout the American Revolution, and his son, Asa, was
a veteran of the War of 1812. Both are deceased and buried side by side at Nashville, Ohio. Another son, Lorenzo
Dow Critchfield, grandfather, was a veteran of the Mexican War. John Critchfield came to Holmes County in 1803,
settled on a 100acre tract of government land, which became the old Critchfleld homestead. He lived to the age
of 97 years, and died in 1852.
W. P. Critchfield was a school teacher and was also widely known as a teacher of music. He owned and operated a
farm of 212 acres, and served throughout the Civil War with an Ohio company. His wife was also a native of Ripley
Township, Holmes County, and she died at the age of 73 years. She was the daughter of Allen and Nancy (Jobe) Ross,
who were natives of Pennsylvania, and among the first settlers of Holmes County.
To W. P. and Lavina (Ross) Critchfield were born eight children: Ammon B., the subject of this sketch; Reno H.;
Schuyler C.; Lois B., married O. B. Parsons; Maud, married L. S. Miley; Fred; Jessie, married James Musser; and
Ammon B. Critchfield received his education in the district schools of Ripley Township, Holmes County, and attended
normal school at Millersburg. He began his military career in 1884 and has been in the service of his country almost
continuously since that date, having served throughout the Spanish American and World Wars. He was the founder
of Camp Perry, Ohio, in 1906, and was also largely responsible for the establishment of Fort Benning, Ga. He served
for nine years in the office of the Adjutant General at Columbus, Ohio, and held the office of Adjutant General
himself for a period of five years. He served in the office during the administration of Gov. William McKinley.
During his earls life Mr. Critchfield was well known as the editor of the Shreve newspaper. He also held the office
of pure food inspector in 21 counties in Ohio.
Mr. Critchfield is the owner of two well improved farms in Clinton Township, Wayne County, and occupies one of
the finest country estates in the county. He also has a residence at Shreve.
Mr. Critchfield was married (first) in 1896 to Miss Lavina Cammarn, of Ripley Township, who died in 1897. He was
married (second) in 1903 to Miss Frances Bucher, the daughter of Joseph and Jane (Barnes) Bucher, both deceased.
They were natives of Wayne County. To Mr. and Mrs. Critchfield were born two children: Jack, born Dec. 8, 1912,
attends Culver Military Academy; and Jane; born in 1916, a student at Penn Hall School for Girls, Chambersburg,
Mr. Critchfield is a Republican in politics and belongs to Masonic Lodge, 32nd degree.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium