Clyde J. Cranston, M. D., who is successfully engaged in the practice of Medicine at Wakeman, is a veteran of
the World War. He was born at Baltimore, Md., Feb. 11, 1896, the son of Dr. Byron S. and Nicie (Hull) Cranston.
Dr. Byron S. Cranston is prominent throughout Huron County and North Central Ohio as a physician and surgeon at
New London. He was born in New York and his wife is a native of Carroll County, Md. He was educated at Alfred University,
Alfred, N. Y., and in 1893 was graduated from the Baltimore City Medical College with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
He began his professional career at Rudolph, Ohio, and for many years has been located in New London. Doctor Cranston
is a Democrat and served as health commissioner of Wood County for one term and as a member of the Rudolph school
board. He belongs to Floral Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 260; New London Chapter, R. A. M.; Council, R. & S.
M. M.; Findlay Commandery, K. T. He and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Church. Two children were born
to Doctor and Mrs. Cranston: May Belle, a graduate of Lakeside Nursing School, Cleveland, attended Ohio State University
and Wooster College. She is now interested in public health work in Cleveland. 2. Clyde J., the subject of this
Clyde J. Cranston obtained his education in the public schools of Rudolph, Ohio, and was graduated from high school
in 1915. He then spent three years at Ohio Wesleyan University, and at the outbreak of the World War he enlisted
as a member of the 147th Field Hospital, and was sent to Camp Sheridan, Ala. In June, 1918, the outfit sailed for
overseas duty and Doctor Cranston participated in six major engagements: Baccarat, Paigney-sur-Meuse, Argonne,
St. Mihiel, and two Belgian engagements. He was discharged with the rank of corporal on April 12, 1919, and at
that time resumed his studies at Ohio Wesleyan University, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts
in 1920. He then entered the Medical School of Western Reserve University, from which he was graduated in 1924.
Doctor Cranston served as an interne in the City Hospital of Cleveland and during 1925-26-27 he studied surgery
with Dr. W. I. Huber, in Cleveland. He established his present practice at Wakeman in July, 1927.
In 1924 Doctor Cranston was united in marriage with Miss Beatrice M. Consla, the daughter of H. B. and Alice (Lett)
Consla, natives of Crawford County, Pa., now residents of Cleveland, Ohio. Mrs. Cranston is a graduate of the Huron
Road Nursing School, Cleveland, and is a registered nurse. To Doctor and Mrs. Cranston have been born two sons:
Earl John and Neal Robert.
Doctor Cranston is a Democrat, a member of the Congregational Church, and belongs to Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Kappa
Kappa fraternities; Ken-Bur-Bell Post No. 41, American Legion; and "40 and 8" Society. He is identified
with the Huron County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical Society, and American Medical Association, and has the
following lodge affiliations: Gibson Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 301; Wakeman Chapter, R. A. M., No. 177; and Norwalk
Council, R. & S. M. M., No. 24.
Doctor Cranston is a first lieutenant in the U. S. Reserve Corps, commanding the 502nd Ambulance Company of the
368 Medical Regiment.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium