Arthur E. Courtney is among the most progressive business men of Mansfield, where he is secretary and director
of the Mechanics Building & Loan Company. He was born in Washington Township, Richland County, Sept. 24, 1871,
the son of James M. and Alphretta (Mitchell) Courtney.
James M. Courtney, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War. He was born in Troy Township, Richland County, Nov.
9, 1844, and his wife was a native of Washington Township, Richland County, born in 1849. Mr. Courtney followed
general farming and stock raising until 1909, at which time he retired and moved to Mansfield. He lived at 242
Marion Avenue. Mr. Courtney was a Democrat and served for many years as a member of the Washington Township Board
of Education and for 15 years was a member of the board of trustees, Richland County Children's Home. He held membership
in the United Presbyterian Church, and was vice commander of the Grand Army of the Republic. He died Jan. 31, 1928,
and is buried in Mansfield Cemetery His widow still resides in this city. They were the parents of six children,
as follows: Arthur E., the subject of this sketch; Grace G., Catherine, and Flosse, all live at Mansfield; James
Lloyd, deceased; and Marjorie, married Fred L. Palm, lives at Cleveland, Ohio.
The education of Arthur E. Courtney was received in the schools of Washington Township, and he attended Ohio Business
College and Ohio Normal University. He then taught school for six years in Springfield, Troy and Madison townships.
In 1902 he was appointed deputy county auditor of Richland County, and was elected to the office of county auditor
in 1909. He was reelected in 1911 and held office until October, 1913, at which time he became associated with
the Mechanics Building & Loan Company as secretary and director.
On Oct. 14, 1903, Mr. Courtney was united in marriage with Miss Grace Graham, the daughter of Henry and Mary D.
(Dinsmore) Graham, the former a native of Ohio and the latter a native of Washington County, Pa. Both are deceased
and are buried at Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Graham was a school teacher and farmer. To Mr. and Mrs. Courtney were born
three children: Mary, a graduate of Wooster University, now a teacher in the Mansfield junior high school; James
Graham, attends Wooster University; and John Lloyd, attends Mansfield High School, class of 1931.
Politically, Mr. Courtney is a Democrat. He is a trustee of the United Presbyterian Church, and is affiliated with
Venus Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 152; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M., No. 28; Mansfield Council, R. & S. M. M.,
No. 94; Mansfield Commandery, K. T., No. 21; Dayton Consistory, 32nd degree; Mansfield Scottish Rite Society; and
Al Koran Temple.
Mr. Courtney is a director of the Mansfield Savings Bank & Trust Company, Richland Trust Company, and secretary
and trustee of the Mansfield Cemetery Association. He is a member of the executive committee of the Mansfield Chamber
of Commerce and in December, 1930, he was elected president.
The Mechanics Building & Loan Company was organized in January, 1886, and began business on Jan. 26th of that
year with the following officers: W. L. Lentz, president; William Ackerman, vice president; Charles Pyle, secretary;
Andrew Burnesan, treasurer; and Sam Marriot, attorney. The directors were: Joseph Martin, John Cahall, George Knofflock,
T. T. Dill, and John Baxter.
The rapid growth of the company's business is illustrated in the following figures: March 1, 1891, $66,038.95;
March 1, 1894, $106,896.40; March 1, 1897, $189,425.60; March 1, 1900, $213,501.41; March 1, 1903, $203,481.05;
March 1, 1906, $267,693.22; March 1, 1909, $301,331.75; March 1, 1912, $445,034.94; March 1, 1915, $669,334.94;
March 1, 1918, $1,058,992.08; March 1, 1921, $1,734,685.06; March 1, 1924, $2,592,570.32; March 1, 1927, $3,666,992.98;
and March 1, 1930, $5,227,401.85.
The present officers of the Mechanics Building & Loan Company are: W. B. Martin, president; R. W. Hartman,
vice president; Arthur E. Courtney, secretary; William A. Bowers, assistant secretary; and Flosse Courtney, assistant
secretary. The directors are: E. D. Baxter, W. A. Bowers, A. E. Courtney, R. W. Hartman, W. B. Martin, Charles
Ritter, and H. T. Siegenthaler.
The company's new building is located at Park Avenue West and South Main Street.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium