Clarence B. Colwill. As superintendent of the Knox County Home at Bangs, Mr. Coiwill is widely and favorably
known throughout Knox County, where he has always lived. He was born on a farm near Gambier, in Knox County, Dec.
27, 1884, the son of John T. and Florence May (Lybarger) Coiwill.
John T. Colwill was born at Gambler, Ohio, March 21, 1848, and still owns and operates his fine farm of 110 acres
in Monroe Township. He has been most successful as a stockman and is well known throughout the county. Florence
May (Lybarger) Colwill died in April, 1926, at the age of 70 years, and is buried in Gambler Cemetery. She was
the daughter of Alexander and Margaret (Brown) Lybarger, who were natives of Pennsylvania and early settlers of
Ohio. To John T. and Florence May (Lybarger) Colwill were born two sons: William Clinton, lives at Gambier; and
Clarence B., the subject of this sketch.
Clarence B. Colwill obtained his education in the public schools of Gambler and is a graduate of Gambier High School,
class of 1903. He has been president of the Peoples Bank at Gambier since the date of its organization, and was
elected as superintendent of Knox County Home on Jan. 1, 1929, being appointed by the Knox County Board of Commissioners.
On Oct. 4, 1906, Mr. Colwill was united in marriage with Miss Ona Harris, the daughter of William A. and Emma (Wolfe)
Harris, of Mt. Vernon. They have three children: Clarence Marion, William M., and Thelma Jean, all students.
Mr. Colwill is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and Clinton Grange.
Daniel olwill and William Colwill, uncles of Clarence B. Colwill, served during the Civil War, and both died while
in the service. Simon Coiwill, grandfather, was a native of England. He married Ann Hurd, also a native of England.
The Knox County Home contains 327 acres of fine farm land and is situated on Dry Creek, which empties into the
Kokosing River at Mt. Vernon. The home is well equipped and is an excellent dairy farm. At the present time there
are 12 head of dairy cattle on the place, 25 head of beef cattle, 75 hogs, and 75 sheep. Modern poultry houses
are a feature of the farm, and the inmates of the home assist in numerous ways in the management and care of the
place. Large crops are grown annually, and the place in every respect may be called a model farm. The home itself
and its buildings are modern throughout and have the latest conveniences.
The Peoples Bank of Gambier was organized in June, 1920, and succeeded the Citizens Bank. It has a capital stock
of $25,000, with a surplus of $4,450.77. The original officers of the institution were: C. B. Colwill, president;
Albert R. Holtz, cashier. Directors: William A. Adams, C. B. Coiwill, Albert R. Holtz, William M. Carlisle, E.
O. Young, R. B. Allen, and Charles C. Schontz. The officers for 1930 were: C. B. Colwill, president; William A.
Adams, vice president; J. R. Brown, cashier; and Laura E. Hall, assistant cashier. Directors are the same as those
in 1920, with the exception of H. M. Jacobs, who succeeded Albert R. Holtz.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium