Eldred L. Clem, M. D., a successful physician and surgeon of Ashland, engaged in the practice of his profession
at 130 East Main Street, is a native of Ohio. He was born in Piqua, Miami County, Nov. 7, 1899, the son of Frank
and Minnie (Offenbacher) Clem.
Frank Clem was born near St. Paris, Champaign County, Ohio. He was engaged in farming until 1914 when he removed
to Ashland and was employed by the Faultless Rubber Company, and subsequently by the Eagle Rubber Company. He is
now living retired. He is a member of the Christian Church and politically is a stanch Democrat. His wife, who
was born near Springhill, Champaign County, died in 1915 and is buried at St. Paris, Ohio. She was a member of
the Methodist Church. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clem: Florence, who married W. D. Emmerson, lives
at Ashland; Leila, married Warren M. Spreng, lives at Ashland; Mabel, married Karl Roesman, lives at Elyria; and
Eldred L., the subject of this sketch.
Eldred L. Clem attended the grade schools of Piqua and was graduated from Ashland High School in 1917. His college
course was taken at Adelbert College, Western Reserve University, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1921.
Three years later he received his degree of Doctor of Medicine from Western Reserve Medical College. His interne
work was done at Mt. Sinai Hospital, Cleveland, and in 1925 he engaged in the practice of his profession in Ashland.
He is a member of the surgical staff of Samaritan Hospital.
In October, 1918, he enlisted for service in the S. A. T. C., Western Reserve University, and was honorably discharged
Dec. 18, 1918. In 1924 he was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Medical Officers Reserve Corps, and in 1927
was appointed a captain in the Medical Corps, Ohio National Guard, assigned to Hospital Company 135, 112th Medical
Regiment, which commission he now holds, being in command of this organization from May 4, 1928.
On Sept. 12, 1924, Doctor Clem was united in marriage with Miss Vera Lucille Smalley, of Ashland, the daughter
of John and Anna (Shetler) Smalley. He was born near Red Haw, Ohio, and died in 1923. He is buried at Ashland.
His widow, born at New Philadelphia, Ohio, lives at Ashland. Doctor and Mrs. Clem have two daughters: Vera Lenore,
born July 1, 1927; and Sheila Ann, born April 1, 1929. Mrs. Clem, who was born at Pacific City, Iowa, is a graduate
of Ashland High School and Ashland Normal College, and for six years prior to her marriage was a teacher in the
Doctor Clem is a past president of the Ashland County Medical Society, and is a member of the Ohio State Medical
Society, and a Fellow of the American Medical Association. He served as city health commissioner from 1926 to 1930,
and is medical examiner for a number of life insurance companies. He is a member of the American Legion, Army and
Navy Union, Ashland Rotary Club, and his fraternities are Nu Sigma Nu and Lambda Chi Alpha. Doctor and Mrs. Clem
are members of the Christian Church, and politically he is a Democrat.
Doctor Clem takes recreation at times from his professional cares in hunting and fishing.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium