John A. Clarke, who is superintendent of the Huron County Home, is a member of a prominent pioneer family of
Huron County. He was born at Bellevue, Ohio, Oct. 19, 1879, the son of Stephen F. and Minnie L. (Anderson) Clarke.
Stephen F. Clarke was born at Pipe Creek, near Bloomingville, Huron County, Dec. 19, 1839, and his wife was born
at Bellevue in 1860. Until his retirement Mr. Clarke engaged in general farming and stockraising and was the owner
of a well improved farm of 100 acres in Huron County. He died in 1918 and is buried in Lyme Cemetery, Lyme Township.
His widow resides at Bellevue. Mr. Clarke was a Republican, and held the offices of township trustee and road supervisor.
There were three children born to Mr. and Mrs. Clarke: John A., the subject of this sketch; Mary Louise, married
Colin Compton, lives at Bellevue; and Anna Elizabeth, lives at Los Angeles.
Stephen F. Clarke was the son of John and Elizabeth (Lloyd) Clarke. He was born at Ashelworth, Gloustershire, England,
July 19, 1792, and his wife was born at Tibberton, Worcestershire, England, Jan. 26, 1801. He was a captain in
the Yoeman's Guard in England. In 1836 Mr. Clarke and his wife came to the United States and after their arrival
in New York City traveled by canal to Buffalo, N. Y., and from there to Cleveland. Mr. Clarke walked from Cleveland
to Huron County and located at Pipe Creek. It was there that he brought his family. He became the owner of a tannery,
and also operated a cabinet making shop. He removed to Bellevue in 1845, and during his life became one of the
extensive landholders in Northern Ohio. Mr. Clarke was one of the founders of the Lyme Trinity Episcopal Church,
and a member of the vestry. In 1848, in appreciation of his services to the church, the congregation presented
him with a beautiful Bible, which is now in the possession of his grandson, John A. Clarke. Mr. Clarke died May
2, 1877, and his wife died Nov. 10, 1861. Both are buried in Lyme Trinity Cemetery.
Minnie L. (Anderson) Clarke is the daughter of James Emery and Louise Anderson, who were natives of Canandaigua,
N. Y., and pioneer settlers of Bellevue. James Emery Anderson was the son of Alvin E. Anderson, who was born in
Massachusetts of Pilgrim stock. He was a devout church member.
John A. Clarke was reared and educated in Bellevue and spent his boyhood on his father's farm. He became the owner
of a farm of 75 acres in Lyme Township, which was part of the original Clarke homestead, and which he still owns
and operates. On April 1, 1924, Mr. Clarke accepted the position of superintendent of the Huron County Home, and
during his administration much progress has been made in the management of the institution. His wife is matron.
On Oct. 23, 1902, Mr. Clarke was united in marriage with Miss Hazel B. Morfier, the daughter of George and Ida
(Hisey) Mortler, natives of Ohio, now residents of Republic, Ohio. Mr. Morfier is retired, having been in the employ
of the Nickel Plate Railroad as a conductor for many years. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clarke: 1.
John Lawrence, born March 13, 1905, a graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University, now a teacher in the Monroeville High
School. He has spent two years in the College of Medicine, University of Michigan. He married Miss Dorothy Covell.
2. Ray Bromley, born April 21, 1907, a graduate of the University of Illinois, and Ohio State University, now a
teacher in Salem High School. He married Miss Arletta Hahn, and they have a son, Winston Bromley. 3. Hazel Mary,
a graduate of Norwalk High School, lives at home.
Politically, Mr. Clarke is a Republican. He holds membership in the Presbyterian Church and belongs to Mt. Vernon
Lodge, F. and A. M., No. 64. His sons are also affiliated with that body.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium