Charles W. Chew. Numbered among the prominent attorneys practicing at the bar in Mansfield, Charles W. Chew
is conducting a general law practice and occupies a high position both professionally and socially. He was born
in Monroe Township, Richland County, Aug. 19, 1873, the son of Henderson R. and Mary Jane (Flook) Chew.
Henderson R. Chew was born in Monroe Township, Feb. 14, 1833, the son of James and Rebecca (Ritchey) Chew, the
former a native of Virginia and the latter of Ireland. James Chew was a farmer throughout his life and died in
1861. His wife is also deceased. Both are buried in Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Mifflin Township, Richland County.
Their son, Henderson R. Chew, engaged in general farming and stock raising, and was the owner of 55 acres of land
in Monroe Township. He retired in 1918 and died in 1922 His wife died in 1915. She was born in Monroe Township,
June 22, 1836, the daughter of Casper and Melinda (Edwards) Flook, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively.
They lived for many years on a farm near Shiloh, Ohio, and are buried at Rome. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson R. Chew are
buried in Mansfield Cemetery. He was a Democrat and an active member of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church of Lucas,
Ohio. To Mr. and Mrs. Chew were born three children. Frank, who died in 1914; Sylvia, who died in 1924; and Charles
W., the subject of this sketch.
The boyhood of Charles W. Chew was spent on his father's farm in Monroe Township and he attended the district schools.
He was graduated from Lucas High School in 1890, and spent two years at the University of Michigan. He then took
up the teaching profession and was identified with the schools of Richland and Ashland counties until 1897, at
which time he entered the offices of Cummings & McBride to study law. He was admitted to the Ohio bar, Dec.
7, 1900, and immediately established offices in the old Barber Building in Mansfield. Later he was located at 741/2
North Main, and in November, 1929, removed to his present location in the Richland Trust Building. He served as
city solicitor of Mansfield for two terms, and has always taken an active interest in the Democratic party. He
has been a member of the Democratic executive committee and Democratic central committee.
In 1907 Mr. Chew married Miss Grace E. Sowash, the daughter of John and Frances (Myers) Sowash, of Mansfield. The
former is deceased and the latter resides in this city. Mr. and Mrs. Chew have a daughter, Virginia Jane.
Mr. Chew is affiliated with Mansfield Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 35; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M., No. 24; Mansfield
Council, R. & S. M. M., No. 94; Mansfield Commander, K. T., No. 21; Toledo Consistory, 32d degree; and Mansfield
Scottish Rite Society. He is identified with the Richland County and Ohio State Bar associations.
Mr. Chew and his family hold membership in the First Presbyterian Church.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium