Hon. Frank Cave, who is serving as a representative from Richland County in the Ohio State Legislature, is a
veteran of the World War and an outstanding citizen of Mansfield. He was born in this city, July 24, 1891, the
son of Harry E. and Clara E. (Shunk) Cave.
Harry E. Cave was born in Philadelphia and when a boy came to Ohio with his parents and settled at Galion. Later
they removed to Mansfield where for more than a quarter of a century he conducted the city's leading haberdashery.
This fine establishment catered to a large and exclusive patronage. Mr. Cave died in November, 1910, and his wife
died in June, 1910. Both are buried in the Mansfield Cemetery. He was a loyal and liberal citizen, and gave many
years of effective service as a member of the Mansfield Board of Education. His wife was a native of Knox County,
Ohio, the daughter of Jeremiah Shunk, who served a long term as county auditor. Mr. Cave was a Democrat, a member
of the Congregational Church, and belonged to B. P. O. Elks, No. 56. To Mr. and Mrs. Cave were born four children:
Harry, a World War veteran, lives at Winnetka, Ill.; Jerry, engineer for the International Telegraph and Telephone
Company, Caracas, Ven.; Mary, married Charles Conklin, lives at Mansfield; and Frank, the subject of this sketch.
Frank Cave obtained his education in the public schools of Mansfield and after his graduation from high school
in 1909, he entered the city engineering department as a draftsman. In August, 1917, he enlisted in the U. S. Army
Signal Corps for service in the World War, and was sent to Fort Benjamin Harrison as a first lieutenant of infantry.
Later he was transferred to the U. S. Signal Corps as a first lieutenant and served at Hoboken, N. J., and Baltimore,
Md., throughout the remainder of the war. He was discharged Dec. 28, 1918, and upon his return to Mansfield became
outside purchasing agent for the Aultman Taylor Company. In 1920 Mr. Cave was active in the organization of the
Central Ohio Bond and Mortgage Company, of which he became secretary. He is now interested in the mortgage real
estate and coal business in Mansfield, with offices at 300 North Mulberry.
Mr. Cave is a Democrat and in November, 1926, was elected as a representative for Richland County to the Ohio State
Legislature. He was reelected in November, 1928. Mr. Cave has been the author of several House bills, which were
successfully passed. Important among them was the bill which established a municipal court in Mansfield.
Mr. Cave has the following club and lodge affiliations : Mansfield Lodge, No. 35, F. and A. M.; Mansfield Chapter,
R. A. M.; Mansfield Council, R. & S. M. M.; Mansfield Commandery, K. T.; Baku Grotto; B. P. O. Elks, No. 56;
American Legion; "40 and 8 Society"; and Westbrook Country Club.
In 1914 Mr. Cave married Miss Minnie Sickmiller, the daughter of William and Clara (Brown) Sichniller, natives
of Pennsylvania, now residents of Mansfield. Mr. and Mrs. Cave have no children.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium