Biography of J. W. Brandt
North Central Ohio Biographies





J. W. Brandt is perhaps one of the best known business men of Lorain County, being president and general manager of the Troxel Manufacturing Company, of Elyria. He was born on a farm near Jeromesville, Ashland County, December 20, 1879, the son of David and Kathryn (Swartz) Brandt.

David Brandt lived on a farm throughout his life, which was spent near Jeromesville. He died in 1905 and his wife died in 1926. Mr. Brandt was a Republican and held membership in the United Brethren Church.

J. W. Brandt attended the public schools of Jeromesville and also studied at Elyria Business College. His first position was in Cleveland with the Squires Carriage Company as a stenographer, and he later went with the old Union National Bank, Cleveland, where he served in the same capacity. After an association of nine years with that institution, Mr. Brandt came to Elyria to enter the services of the Troxel Manufacturing Company. Later, he became general manager, and upon the death of Mr. Troxel Mr. Brandt was elected president of the company. He is also a director of the Lorain County Bank and the American Lace Company.

Mr. Brandt was married (first) in 1901 in Cleveland to Miss Lela Vaughn, of Mantua, Ohio. He was married (second) in 1917 to Miss Emma French, of Elyria, the daughter of Dr. G. E. French, a native of LaGrange, Ohio, now lives in Elyria. To Mr. and Mrs. Brandt have been born two sons: 3. W., Jr., born September 24, 1918, attended Culver Military Academy, now a student at University School, Cleveland, where he was elected captain of the 1932 football team; William David, born July 1, 1920, also attended Culver Military Academy and is now a student at University School, Cleveland. Both boys have held the boxing championship in their respective classes at University School.

Mr. Brandt belongs to the Elks Lodge, Eagles Lodge, Loyal Order of Moose, and Elyria Country Club. He is a Republican in politics. His wife and children hold membership in the Congregational Church, Elyria. The family residence is located at 418 Washington Avenue.

From:
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1931


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
North Central Ohio Biographies

Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

Ohio
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium