A. E. Boyd. Prominent among the leading men of Knox County is A. E. Boyd, who is superintendent of the Ohio
Fuel Gas Company at Mt. Vernon. He was born at Clarington, Pa., the son of W. James and Mary E. (Heasley) Boyd.
W. James Boyd was a native of Pennsylvania. At an early age he met with an accidental death in the lumber mills
of Clarington, and is buried there. His wife died in Ashland in 1923 and is buried at Clarington. To Mr. and Mrs.
Boyd were born five sons: A. E., the subject of this sketch; W. H., lives at Jamestown, N. Y.; Ernest M., who died
at Meadville, Pa., in 1929; A. R., merchant, lives at Leeper, Pa.; and Homer E., deceased. He was employed by the
Ohio Fuel Gas Company at Wooster and met with an accidental death while engaged in work at Creston, Ohio.
A. E. Boyd was reared and educated in Pennsylvania. His father died when he was ten years old and at that early
age he assisted in the support of his mother and four younger brothers. He spent several years as a telegraph operator
at Millstone, Elk County, Pa., and in 1899 became associated with the Oil City Fuel Supply Company, now The United
Natural Gas Company, in Pennsylvania. In 1904 he came to Mt. Vernon to work for The Ohio Fuel Supply Company. In
1911 he was transferred to Ashland to take charge of their production there. The company's offices were maintained
in Ashland until 1923, when they were removed to Wooster, and he was sent there. In 1924 Mr. Boyd went to Columbus
as general superintendent to take charge of gas production for his company in the entire State of Ohio, and he
was serving in this capacity until the merger with the Columbia Gas & Electric Company in 1928. Mr. Boyd then
returned to Mt. Vernon in charge of the Logan Natural Gas Company & Ohio Fuel Gas Company. In 1929 the Ohio
Fuel Gas Company purchased the interests of the Logan Natural Gas Company, and Mr. Boyd has since served as superintendent
in the Mt. Vernon territory.
The Ohio Fuel Supply Company, now the Ohio Fuel Gas Company, a subsidiary of the Columbia Gas & Electric Corporation,
was organized in 1901, with wells in Knox and Licking counties. The first well was drilled on the Keckley farm
in Burlington Township, near the village of Homer. Well No. 2 was drilled in Morgan Township, Knox County, in 1901,
and is still supplying gas. The founders of the company were: M. C. Treat, and G. W. Crawford. Mr. Treat died in
1925 and Mr. Crawford now lives in Pittsburgh, and is chairman of the board of directors of the holding company.
A line was built to Zanesville in 1902 and is still used by the company. Another line was laid to Columbus in 1903
and the first compression station was built at Homer in 1904. The company's last well, No. 5411, was drilled in
Newcastle Township, Coshocton County, in February, 1931, and is located on the R. L. Cochran farm. The depth of
this well is 3,276 feet. Average depth of the company's wells throughout the state is 3,000 feet. Oil production
is set entirely apart from the company's gas production. It is estimated that 1,500 oil wells are in operation
throughout the state.
On April 30, 1901, Mr. Boyd was united in marriage with Miss Nellie B. Overbeck, the daughter of John J. and Catherine
(Slagle) Overbeck, of Wooster. They have two daughters: 1. Lorraine, a graduate of Ashland High School, class of
1921, received the degree of Bachelor of Arts at Wooster College, and the degree of Master of Arts at Ohio State
University. She is now a teacher of English in the Toledo public schools. 2. Pauline, a graduate of Ashland High
School, class of 1922, received the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts at Ohio State University, was
a teacher of Latin in the public schools at Bellefontaine, Ohio, for two years, flow married to Chester R. Austin,
who has a B. A. and M. A. degrees from Ohio State University in ceramic engineering. Mr. Austin is now in the employ
of the State of Ohio and resides at Zanesville, Ohio.
Mr. Boyd and family belong to the Church of Christ, Indianola Avenue, Columbus.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium