Frank Winger Blough, who is successfully engaged in the real estate and insurance business in Wooster, is a
native of Wayne County. He was born at Smithville, Dec. 26, 1891, the son of Christian V. and Susan (Winger) Blough.
Christian V. Blough was born on a farm in Milton Township, Aug. 15, 1848. Throughout his life he was a farmer and
teacher. He died in 1916 and is buried in the Smithville Cemetery. Mr. Blough was a Republican and a member of
the United Brethren Church. His father was Peter Blough, who was born near Johnstown, Pa., and who was one of the
first settlers of Smithville, where he engaged in the mercantile business. He was also a clergyman. Susan (Winger)
Blough was born south of Smithville, Feb. 20, 1851, and lives at Wooster. There were five children born to Mr.
and Mrs. Blough: Mrs. Nettie Conrad, lives at Wooster; Mrs. Minnie Webner, lives at Smithville; Clem P., who died
in October, 1920, was cashier of the Citizens National Bank of Wooster; One D., insurance, lives at Wooster; and
Frank W., the subject of this sketch.
The education of F. W. Blough was received in the public schools of Smithville and Wooster. He began his banking
career as a clerk in the Smithville Farmers & Merchants Bank and in 1911 became associated with the Citizens
National Bank of Wooster as a teller, being identified with this institution for seven years. In June, 1918, Mr.
Blough volunteered for service in the World War and was sent to Fort Thomas, Ky. Later he was stationed near New
York, and was discharged at Camp Sherman, Ohio, July 3, 1919. He then resumed his former employment with the Citizens
National Bank and in September, 1919, became interested in the insurance business and purchased the Fetzer Agency
in Wooster. In 1920 he became associated in business with Mr. Taylor and at that time the firm of Blough &
Taylor was organized. They were active in the development of the Bloomington Heights subdivision. April 1, 1930,
this partnership was dissolved. In fall of 1930 Orie D. Blough became associated with Frank W. Blough in real estate
and insurance and they opened their office on East Liberty Street.
On July 5, 1922, Mr. Blough married Miss Maud Lewis, of Chicago, who was a teacher in the department of music of
Wooster College. She is a graduate of the Cosmopolitan College of Music of Chicago, and is the daughter of Doctor
Henry F. and Minnie (Dows) Lewis. Doctor Lewis, deceased, was a graduate of the Medical School of Harvard University
and for 30 years was a member of the medical faculty of the Medical School of the University of Chicago, and was
also connected with the Cook County Hospital. His wife is deceased and they are buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Chicago.
Mr. and Mrs. Blough have a son, Frank W., Jr., born June 13, 1927.
Mr. Blough is a Republican, a prominent member of the Methodist Church of Wooster, and belongs to the Masonic and
Elk lodges, Kiwanis Club and Wooster Post, No. 68, American Legion.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium