Major James K. Biddle, M. D. One of the most prominent physicians and surgeons of Richland County is Doctor
James K. Biddle, a veteran of the World War, who is established in the practice of his profession at Mansfield,
with offices in the Walpark Bldg. He was born at Athens, Ohio, Oct. 11, 1883, the son of John F. and Mary (Kester)
John F. Biddle was a native of West Virginia, as was also his wife. Throughout his life he engaged in general farming.
Both he and his wife are deceased and are buried at Athens, Ohio. He was a republican and held membership in the
Presbyterian Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Biddle 14 children were born, as follows: Dr. T. R., physician, lives at Athens;
Dr. J. S., physician, deceased, Dr. A. C., physician, lives at Mansfield; Dr. D. H., physician, lives at Athens;
Dr. Victor, physician, served with the rank of captain, U. S. Medical Corps, lives at Steubenville, Ohio; James
K., the subject of this sketch; Frank, farmer, lives at Athens; Dr. B. H., physician, lives at Sugar Grove, Ohio;
Ada, deceased; Mary, lives at Pickrington, Ohio; Lena, deceased; Jennie, married John Harner, lives at Pickrington;
Fannie, deceased; and Nan, married C. L. Goddard, lives at Ardmore, Okla.
The early education of James K. Biddle was received in the district schools of Athens County. He spent three years
at Ohio State University and received the degree of Doctor of Medicine at the College of Physicians and surgeons,
Baltimore, in 1909. He served as interne at Mercy Hospital, Baltimore, and for a time was connected with the Lorain
Coal & Dock Company at Blame, Ohio. He then engaged in private practice at Steubenville until 1917 and at the
outbreak of the World War was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Medical Corps, U. S. Army, and sent to Fort
Benjamin Harrison. With the rank of captain he was transferred to the 83rd Division at Camp Sherman, Ohio, and
was later sent to France. He attended an army school at Langres, France, was promoted to the rank of major and
assigned to the Third Army Corps Headquarters. Major Biddle was discharged from the service July 5, 1919. He resumed
his former practice at Steubenville and in 1921 went to Carroll, Iowa, where he was identified with surgical work
at St. Anthony's Hospital. From 1922 until 1928 he was located at Daytona Beach, Florida, and in 1929, established
his present practice in Mansfield. He is a member of the staff of Mansfield General Hospital.
In 1913 Dr. Biddle married Miss Margaret Cook, the daughter of Lewis R. Cook, of Bridgeport, Ohio. They have a
son, James C.
Doctor Biddle is identified with the Richiand County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical Society, and American
Medical Association. He holds membership in the First Presbyterian Church and belongs to Bridgeport Lodge, F. &
A. M., No. 181, Cleveland Consistory, 32nd degree, Aladdin Temple, B. P. O. Elks, Phi Delta Theta, and Phi Beta
Phi fraternities. Politically he is a Democrat.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium