Edson D. Atherton is active and well known in the business life of Bellevue, where he is proprietor of the E.
D. Atherton Funeral Home, which is located at 240 East Main Street. He was born in Delaware County, Ohio, Aug.
26, 1884, the son of Lee and Ella (Pound) Atherton.
Both Lee Atherton and his wife are natives of Licking County, Ohio. In 1880 they settled on a farm in Thompson
Township, Delaware County, where they remained until 1920, when Mr. Atherton retired. They are now residents of
Richwood, Ohio. Mr. Atherton is a charter member of the Knights of Pythias, Magnetic Springs, Ohio, and belongs
to Prospect Lodge, F. & A. M. To Mr. and Mrs. Atherton were born four children: Daisy, deceased; Bert, lives
in Delaware County, Ohio; Edson D., the subject of this sketch; and Mary Bell, deceased.
Edson D. Atherton obtained his early education in the district schools of Delaware County, and is a graduate of
Magnet Springs High School. He remained on his father's farm until 1913, at which time he purchased a grain business
and elevator at Green Camp, Ohio. In 1914 he went to Marysville, where he spent two years with H. F. Morey Company,
undertakers, and the following year he was associated with the funeral home of Lloyd Winter, at Richwood. In June,
1917, Mr. Atherton completed a course at the Columbus Training School of Embalming, and became a registered mortician
in the State of Ohio, July 10, 1917. He was identified with Mr. Winter at Richwood until September, 1918, at which
time he purchased the undertaking business of D. H. Purdy, at Centerburg, Ohio. He disposed of this establishment
to J. B. Snyder in June, 1923, and at that time purchased the furniture and undertaking business of Lattimore &
Fraber, at Mt. Victory, Ohio. In March, 1925, Mr. Atherton sold the furniture business to O. F. Miller, of Delaware,
and until February, 1926, conducted a funeral home in Delaware. He then purchased the undertaking business of I.
R. Selker, of Bellevue, which has since been known as the E. D. Atherton Funeral Home. Mr. Atherton is president
of the 12th District of the Ohio Funeral Directors Association, and holds membership in the Ohio State Funeral
Directors Association, and National Funeral Directors Association.
In 1905 Mr. Atherton was united in marriage with Miss Vada Kirk, the daughter of Jerry and Ida (Lindsley) Kirk,
of Richwood, Ohio. They are the parents of two daughters: 1. Alice, who attended Richwood Normal School, Ohio State
University, and Bowling Green College. She is a teacher in the public schools of Bellevue. 2. Clara, a graduate
of Bellevue High School, class of 1927. She is a bookkeeper in the employ of the Northern Ohio Telephone Company
Mr. Atherton is a member of the Methodist Church and Kiwanis Club, and has the following lodge affiliations: Bellevue
Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 273; Bellevue Chapter, R. A. M., No. 113; Bellevue Council, it. & S. M. M., No.
82; Manilla Chapter, O. E. S., No. 100; B. P. O. Elks, No. 1013; F. O. Eagles, Aerie No. 490; Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, No. 123; and Knights of Pythias, Lenape Lodge, No. 29, of Delaware, Ohio.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium