Hon. C. J. Anderson is engaged in the general practice of his profession in Shelby, and is not only one of the
representative attorneys of Richiand County, but is also a broad minded, loyal and public spirited citizen. He
has served as State Senator from this district as a member of the 88th General Assembly. He has been a member of
the central committee and executive committee of the Republican party for more than 30 years, and has served as
chairman for three terms.
C. J. Anderson was born near Tiro, Crawford County, Ohio, Jan. 12, 1878, the son of James and Elizabeth (Stimmel)
Anderson. James Anderson was a native of DeKaib, Ohio, and his wife was born in Shelby. He engaged in general farming
and stock raising in Crawford County from 1860 until 1881, and in the latter year came to Shelby where he became
associated in the dry goods business with W. T. Mickey. Upon the death of Mr. Mickey the business was continued
by Mr. Anderson's son, A. H. Anderson, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this history. James Anderson died
in 1911 and his wife died in 1909. Both are buried at Shelby. He was a Republican and held the offices of township
trustee and city councilman. He was a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church and belonged to Shelby Lodge, F.
& A. M., No. 350, of which he was a charter member and treasurer for 20 years. To James and Elizabeth (Stimmel)
Anderson were born five children: A. H., postmaster, lives at Shelby; W. S., M. D., who died in 1919; C. J., the
subject of this sketch; Rachel M., who died in 1888; and David, who died in 1881.
James Anderson was the son of David and Rachel (Dickson) Anderson, who came to Ohio from Pennsylvania in 1815 and
settled on a farm in Crawford County. He died in 1873. He became a prominent figure in the business life of Richiand
County and was actively interested in a number of the early banks of Mansfield and Shelby, being one of the founders
of the First National Bank of Shelby. He was also one of the organizers of the Toledo Division of the Pennsylvania
Railroad Company, which at that time was known as the Mansfield, Coldwater & Lake Michigan Railroad. At the
time of his death Mr. Anderson was recognized as one of the wealthiest and most influential citizens of his time.
His wife died in 1878. Both are buried at Shelby.
Elizabeth (Stimmel) Anderson was the daughter of Henry and Margaret Stimmel, natives of Western Pennsylvania, who
came to Richiand County in 1825. Henry Stimmel served as postmaster of Shelby for a number of years and was also
interested in the dry goods business of Thomas Mickey & Co.
C. J. Anderson attended the public schools of Shelby and was graduated from Shelby High School in 1895. He studied
law at Western Reserve University, from which he received the degree of LL. B. in 1900. After being admitted to
the bar in December, 1900, Mr. Anderson established a general practice at Shelby and for 15 years was associated
in practice with A. B. Mabee, as a member of the firm of Mabee & Anderson. For one year the firm was known
as Mabee, Anderson & Coble. Since 1917 Mr. Anderson has engaged in private practice. He was elected state senator
in 1928 and during his term in the senate was author of Senate Bill No. 245, which authorized the appointment of
referees in order to speed up the termination of claims for workingmen's compensation. He was co-author of Senate
Bill No. 362, which repealed over 1,000 obsolete, unconstitutional and unnecessary sections of the General Code.
He was re-elected to the senate in 1930.
Mr. Anderson is a Republican and has served two appointments as city solicitor of Shelby. He is a director and
attorney for the First National Bank and is vice president of the Richiand County Bar Association.
In 1910 Mr. Anderson married Miss Lelah M. Teeter, the daughter of Tremont and Hulda (Berry) Teeter, natives of
Richiand County. Mr. Teeter is retired and lives on the Lexington Road, just south of Mansfield. To Mr. and Mrs.
Anderson two daughters were born: Rachel, a graduate of Shelby High School, now a student nurse in St. Luke's Hospital,
Cleveland; and Mary, a student.
Mr. Anderson has been a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church for 12 years and belongs to Shelby Lodge, F.
and A. M., No. 350; The Junior Order of American Mechanics; Shelby Chapter, R. A. M., No. 52; and Isaac Walton
League. He has been a member of the board and an active worker in the Community Chest Fund of Shelby for a number
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium