LEWIS HENRY YOUNG, capitalist, farmer and leading citizen of Mahoning County, is president of the Mineral Ridge
Manufacturing Company, a stockholder in the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company, a director in the Niles Car Works,
a director in the First National Bank and the Dollar Savings Bank at Niles, a stockholder in the Dollar Savings
and Trust Bank and the Commercial Bank at Youngstown, and president of the De Lasatunas Fruit Company of Cuba,
which has its office on Federal street, Youngstown; president of the Youngstown Furnace Company; vicepresident
of the Youngstown Cattle Company. In addition to the above interests, Mr. Young owns 218 acres of fine farming
land, a part of which lies in Trumbull County, 88 acres, however, being situated in Mahoning County, two miles
west of Mineral Ridge. Mr. Young was born in Austintown township, Mahoning County, Ohio, October 18, 1861, and
is a son of Henry and Julia (Wappler) Young.
Henry Young, father of Lewis H., was born and grew to manhood in Germany, where he learned the trade of stone mason.
He was married in Germany to Julia Wappler, and three children were born to them before they emigrated to America,
namely: Philip, Susanna, who married August Kroeck, and resides in Austintown township; and William, who is deceased.
In 1853, accompanied by his family, Henry Young came to the United States, locating for the first two years at
Cleveland. He then came down to Mineral Ridge to put in the foundations for the old blast furnaces which J. Warner
was then erecting. While working on that contract, Mr. Young became so well satisfied with the surrounding country
that he bought a residence situated between Austintown and Mineral Ridge in which he continued to live until his
death. He continued to do a large amount of contract work thereafter both in Mahoning and Trumbull counties, and
was thus engaged up to the time of the Civil War, when he enlisted, in 1861, in the 121st Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
He served in this regiment until the close of the war, participating in a number of battles, and was promoted to
the rank of corporal. He died in March, 1874, aged 49 years, and was survived by his widow until 1892, her age
at the time of her death being 68 years. The seven children born after the family came to America were: Elizabeth,
who married Henry R. Rupf; August, of whom there is no special mention; Lena, who married Charles Seifert; Lewis
H., whose name begins this article; Rose, deceased; Julia, wife of Thomas W. Creed; and Louisa, who resides with
her brother, Lewis H.
Lewis H. Young grew to manhood on the home place and was educated in the Austintown schools. His eldest brother
taking up the father's business, Lewis learned the stone mason's trade with him, and became his foreman. When Lewis
was about 20 years old he lost his brother, and the business came to him and his other brothers. His first contract
was for the masonry on the P. C. & T. Railroad, now the Pittsburg and Western branch of the Baltimore &
Ohio system. The contract called for the building of the masonry between Girard and Warren, the amount involved
being about $50,000. From the successful completion of this work, Mr. Young has continued his contract work, dealing
mainly in bridge contracting,. calling for heavy masonry, and railroad work.
Mr. Young carries on general farming and is also largely interested in the breeding of Shropshire sheep, Jersey
cattle and fine horses. He made his first purchase of land in 1893, in Trumbull County, but sold it as he also
did land in Jackson township. He has, however, always retained the 30 acres, which he received from his mother.
Since 1881 Mr. Young has resided on his well kept farm which is situated on the line between Mahoning and Trumbull
counties, on which he erected his commodious and attractive ten room residence and substantial barn and other buildings.
This is a beautiful place, neatly surrounded by well trimmed hedges and evidences are on every side of thrift and
On February 14, 1890, Mr. Young was married to Ida A. Ohl, who was born on the present farm, in September, 1868,
and is a daughter of William and Eliza (Maurer) Ohl. Her mother was born and died at Austintown. William Ohl married,
second, Irene Kennedy of Cortland, Ohio, and they reside at Warren. Mrs. Young has two brothers: Alva M., residing
at Warren, where he is engaged in the clothing business; and Charles F., a lawyer, residing at Youngstown.
Mr. and Mrs. Young have four children: William, Laverne, Lemar and Arthur. Fraternally Mr. Young is connected with
the Masonic lodge at Niles, the Elks at Youngstown, and the Knights of Pythias at Jackson.
20th Century History of Youngstown
and Mahoning County, Ohio and
Edited and compiled by Gen. Thos. W. Sanderson
Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1897
Mahoning County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium